Author Topic: Previous Starting Problem  (Read 5487 times)

Ron Johnson

Previous Starting Problem
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »
We had an issue a few weeks ago when the engine would not turn over, no clicking solenoid and the 'glowplug' light on the dash would not come on. The engine finally fired when I was under it tapping the starter with my wife hitting the start button from the back position. Since then the 'glowplug' has come on and it has started fine from the driver's seat but I am going to have to do something with either the starter, the starter solenoid or the ignition switch I am guessing.

My question is does anyone know if the 'glowplug' light not coming on would be an ignition switch issue or ???

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
Re: Previous Starting Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:56:47 AM »
I am interested in the find and fix with this problem as I have experienced the event 4 times. I removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the ground strap on the engine, seemed to correct the problem for a while. The next time I replaced the solenoid in the compartment by the front tire and that seemed to worked about three years. Now it has happened twice on the way home from Az. And I believe that the heat lite doesn't come on. Wished I had a schematic to know exactly where the wiring went.
Arden Smith
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:46:06 AM »
Ron,
I don't have the wiring diagrams but I think the glow plug circuit is separate from the start circuit. If your engine will turn over on a cold morning, w/o waiting for the preheat to take effect, the start circuitry is not dependent on the glow plug status. I not aware of any engine that will block starter function based on preheat status.  You noted the engine started after you rapped the starter or solenoid on the starter. I'd suspect that the solenoid is the most likely culprit (and cheaper to replace than the starter).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
Friends with a C-9 had a problem starting and a tow truck driver turned the balance wheel while the ignition key was being turned and that got it going.  Aparently there was enough blow by to get enough residue into the starter to weaken the contact fron the brushes. 
I understand they removed the starter an cleaned it out with no further problems.
I believe I got the details right and I have noted the same thing happening to our starter so it may be fairly common.
Hope this helps
Keith

ADDENDUM!!! (added by Carol, the wife)  PLEASE use EXTREME caution if trying to use this method!  If the engine starts while your hands are on the balance wheel it will TAKE YOUR FINGERS OFF!!!  (The mechanic who did this for our friends was VERY lucky! :-(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:25:40 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
To answer question about the intake heater light not coming on. The intake heater will turn on if the coolant temperature and the inlet air temperature is less than 75 F. Answer to the starter question
First thing I would suggest make sure Battery's are at full charge and all connections are clean and
tight. There is a relay and solenoid in the start circuit. Use test light to see if key switch is powering
Solenoid. Many times low voltage to solenoid on starter draws in a ring about the size of a siliver dollar is corroded and will not make contact across the cable lugs. By taping on starter or turning engine balancer engine would start bring problem back to the solenoid.  Dave Atherton

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
Dave,
The original question was by Ron Johnson who has a C 12, and he stated that the glowplug lite was not coming on when his starter would not engage. My C 12 does not have a glowplug lite, so I have no idea where there is a wiring connection to the starter circuit if any between his glowplug lite and starter.

Gerald 

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
Gerald Good question and yes you cannot find the wires. Here is what further digging has found.
C-12 on road engine, 337-5421 monitor Gp is ordered a wiring harness is not supplied , a custom
harness must be built. SEBD6818-00.   Dave Atherton