Author Topic: CB Power location  (Read 4301 times)

Mike Groves

CB Power location
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »
I have a Cobra CB Radio that is just a microphone and I think its common to the 1999 and 2000 model years, and it doesn't work, so I found the cobra interface/power box that it connects to by pulling up the dash cover on top of the dash.  It sits in there a bit to the top right as you look down on it from the driver's seat.  The positive lead is no longer connected so I wondered if anyone could find theirs and perhaps give me a little help as to where to plug this in. 

It's not a biggie obviously in today's world but why not have it work if possible.  I know I could splice it into the radio (for example), but if there is simply a post there to plug it in, I'd like to do that.

Thanks, Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: CB Power location
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
     Hi Mike,

I just looked in the dash and mine is just like yours. However the red and black wires go down into a harness and can't see where they go. I can tell you that my CB only works with the Key on so that tells me it is on the Ignition buss feed down in the front run panel. The CB only draws a few amps so you can probably "piggyback" on another source up in the dash. 12 volt recept may work.
        Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks Fred.  What do you mean by "12 volt recept"?  Is there a specific receptacle?  Or do you mean anywhere I can find 12V would be ok?  I upgraded my radio, so I could run a patch wire to its 12V input if I redo that connection.  I was hoping not to have to do that, but at least the radio plays without the key.

Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
    Mike,

The recepticle I am refering to is the one you see coming up the steps under the slide room switch. That recept is on its own dedicated circuit. Just pull the drawer to access the wiring and you can scotch loc or cut and butt connector on to that circuit.
      Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »
Fred, Mike,
Before you hook CB power to a constant 12V source, consider that it is very easy to leave the CB on after you shut the coach down as it may not make any noise unless someone is transmitting.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Mike Groves

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »
Good suggestions from both.  Thanks Fred and Steve.

Mike