Author Topic: New Sewer Hose Storage.  (Read 17876 times)

Dick Simonis

New Sewer Hose Storage.
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
I've been considering modifying the sewer hose storage ever since Fred mentioned that he had done it to his 2000 Marquis.  According to Fred, simple 45 minute project.

Basically, what it amounts to is utilizing the space under the existed (rather useless) Beaver supplied sewer hose storage tube.  Fred warned me that the space is quite a bit smaller on mine because of the tag axle but still should be adequate for the task. 

First thing is to open the side panel and brace it for access to the undercarriage.  On mine there were a total of 4 1/2-20 bolts and the whole thing opens up.  The docking light wires needed to disconnected but the side marker lights did not.  Once the panel is open and braced it's obvious that there is marginally enough room to make this work but it needs a floor and some sort of an enclosure to for the hose to fall into.  Since I don't do wood worth a hoot I opted to use expanded metal and angle iron.  This stuff is real easy to work with and my dremel with a cut off wheel made it a snap to configure and than just bolt it all together.

Next task was to come up with containment for the sewer hose.  Again Fred came up with a great idea, he had noted that a Walmart trash can was just about the perfect size and I just happened to have one in the garage what would work with minimal alteration so it was sacrificed for the project.  First I had to cut off the top lip than make a recess for the docking light.  Here again the dremel cut-off was perfect...it just sort of melted it's way thought the plastic.  Not real pretty but a little sanding of the edges and it was fine.

Once the floor was bolted in place the high tech containment fit perfect and jammed in tightly without any movement.  Of course a hole needed to be cut in the containment floor for drainage but again, easy with the dremel.

Last mod was the cut away the original sewer hose tube from the access door to allow unrestricted access, bolt the panel back in place and insert the sewer hose.  Perfect..the hose drop into the storage and is still easy to retrieve.  Very nice to have it out of the bay and it fit with all the fittings, caps, and etc in place.

Some Pics:

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett, Larry Dedrick, Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: New Sewer Hose Storage.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
       Hi Dick,

Nice job, I like your idea of the expanded metal. Wish I would of thought of that. Sure is nice having that dump hose out where it can air out.
      Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:31:14 PM »
Thanks Fred, yea it came out ok....FYI, your 45 minute time estimate must have been for someone who knew what they were doing.  I'm going to play with the hoses a bit and see just how many lengths will fit.  Right now with the 10' it looks like it will take at least another 5' piece.

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
Dick and Fred,

Nice job......I would like to do the same to let the hoses air out and make a little room in the bay area. 

Was wondering if anyone has tried this project on a Patriot?

Appreciate your thoughts and comments!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
I did a somewhat similar modification to what Dick has posted on my 98 Patriot 37'.  All of our coaches are likely different so plan and measure before cutting anything.

I added a second sewer hose door below the first one. Next, I added two more white PVC tubes under the top door but accessed via the new lower door.  Next, I made a metal cage similar to Dick's photos and mounted it below the lower second door.

In Dick's version, you can put longer hoses in the cage (Like 20').  In my version, I have three shorter hoses all configured differently with various fittings including an extension hose and use whatever I need at any particular campsite or dump station. My cage is accessed via the second door, I keep all kinds of adapters like see thru fittings, sewer hose c lamps, sewer rings, hose couplers, and the like. These are all very lightweight. I actually made my cage from bent 90 degree pieces of perforated aluminum and tied them together with Panduit Ties. Fast and easy and quickly removable should you ever need to.

I have had this setup for over 10 years now and just love it. I have also used this same concept to store lightweight items in a few other areas of available storage elsewhere in the coach.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
Larry,

Since it seems that they all vary somewhat, looks as though I will need to open up the panel and try to incorporate some of the ideas mentioned.

Appreciate your comments!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »
          Hi Guys,

All the coaches from this era have mounting "L" brackets at the bottom with 1/4 20 bolts. Once removed, they pivot upward at the belt molding. Enclosed are the pics of my sewer hose modification. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bob Stone, Larry Dedrick

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks for the pic's Fred.....looks very straight forward and functional!

What is the round hole in the trash receptacle for?  Guessing the side light.

My list of projects just keeps getting longer!

Merry Christmas!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:12:22 AM »
    Hi Mike,

You be right, needed a recess for the docking light. Don't forget the 1" holes in the bottom of the trash bucket for drainage. Once the trash can is in place, it creates a ledge where the air bag mount is. This is an ideal shelf for couplers and various adapters when necessary for hooking up. Thanks to Dick Simonis for his input to refine the modification.
   Merry Christmas to all, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:41:42 PM »
Loved the sewer storage idea however it wouldn't work on our 08 Marquis so Larry and I came up with a different fix.  He removed the old small tube from under the coach and we purchased a 5" by 8' vinyl fence post and installed it in its place.  Now we have room for two sections of hose along with the couplers.  He drilled holes in the bottom to allow air into the post as well as any liquids to drain out.  Now we have two fewer storage bins in the bay.

Larry and Laura

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:17:15 AM by Larry Dedrick »
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
Loved the sewer storage idea however it wouldn't work on our 08 Marquis so Larry and I came up with a different fix.  He removed the old small tube from under the coach and we purchased a 5" by 8' vinyl fence post and installed it in its place.  Now we have room for two sections of hose along with the couplers.  He drilled holes in the bottom to allow air into the post as well as any liquids to drain out.  Now we have two fewer storage bins in the bay.

Larry and Laura
Great job, the square posts make great storage places. The attached pic file was empty so could not see the finished product.

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »
I'm not sure why the photos won't come up...will try again!
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:35 PM »
Larry your photo size may be to large and I don't think we can post a pdf file?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Larry Dedrick

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 04:43:36 AM »
pdfs can be attached. If the photo is too large, there is a guide to resizing/compressing photos in the General Discussion board. Contact me if you need assistance.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Larry Dedrick