Author Topic: A/V 15 amp breaker tripping  (Read 5183 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
A/V 15 amp breaker tripping
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
Hello friends, I've been having a problem with my audio/ video 15 amp GFi breaker tripping at least once during the day. This happens if the devices are on or not. All our audio/ video TV's etc. we're upgraded quite a while back to HD satellite and TV's. We have never had a problem until the last 3 weeks. I had it checked out by an electrician and he said it's only pulling  3.2 amps with everything on. He suspected  a bad breaker and replaced it. He also thinks it's the GFI and suggested replacing it with a non GFI breaker since it's not in a bathroom or an outlet that gets used like in a kitchen. There are several things on this breaker and he thinks one little glitch is cause it to trip. Like I said it may happen once a day and then it will last the rest of the day and night. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: A/V 15 amp breaker tripping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
Larry,
Sounds like you may have a bad GFI. You can replace it with another one and that may well solve the problem or you could replace it with a non-GFI and that will definitely resolve it. But, if you go the non GFI route, verify that the outlet is the last one on the circuit (only 3 wires to it). If it has 6 wires, it is in the middle of a circuit and you need to verify what else the circuit feeds and the GFI protects. If you only lost power to your AV equipment you are probably OK. But be sure to verify it before installing a non-GFI breaker.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »
You could also go with a GFCI breaker and a standard duplex receptacle.  The breakers cost more but seem to last longer than the gfci plugs of which about 50% fail tests.

Roger Rempe

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »
Crikey Larry, your posting is practically word for word what I was gonna write about my audio/video circuit...thanks for saving me the trouble! I went to buy a 15 amp GFI breaker as a back up in case it kept tripping and was told by the electrician at the supply store that I didn't need the more expensive GFI type. Since purchasing it a few weeks ago the old one has held. Problem solved for now I guess!
Roger

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
Thank you all for your responses! I know this breaker powers the computer desk along with the audio video and that's it. So I am going to try the non gfi and see how that goes. For some reason Monaco used nothing but GFI in the 30 amp circuit box. I appreciate all your feedback. We should be in Albuquerque, NM tonight and I'll go buy another one.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:03 AM »
I know our A/V circuit also runs down the driver's side first also Larry, powering the "buffet"/dinette area before reaching the front cap.  Make sure there's no outlet in a bay below that may be T'd off the computer or dinette area - bay outlets are considered "wet exposure", so heed Steve's advice.  Like yours, our 30 amp box is all GFCI breakers, but have never had problems. 

One thing you might check is the condition of the surge protector/power strip stuffed in the back of your A/V cabinet.  If it's a cream colored Belkin, at least one BAC member had big problems out of his a while back when it overheated.  Ed Buker recommended metal cased power strips instead of plastic ones that can melt and burn more easily.

I say that because you weren't having problems before, then the same issue even with a new GFCI breaker.  Your electrician's "glitch" may not be all that small.  Things in the cap get hot, especially when you're parked facing the sun.  I'd like to add more vent ports and fans to mine.  The TV got so hot one year that it's internal on/off component started turning itself on, so we couldn't get it to stay off.  Until I get a new more modern TV, we have to flip the breaker to guaranty that the TV will stay off now.   If I want to use dinette outlets/lights, I have to unplug the A/V components or struggle through the wire bundles to unplug the TV from the power strip instead of popping the breaker.  PitA. 

But check out or just replace that strip, just in case.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »
Larry,
I had the same problem in my 2000 Marquis, and I found that the problem was that there was a plug on the circuit in the basement below the washing machine that was getting wet from a leaking water pump on the washing machine. Fixed washing machine leak, and no more problem.

Gerald

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 04:34:30 AM »
Thanks again!! Very good things to think about. I did go to Home Depot and get a non GFI breaker. I have it installed so now we will see tomorrow if it fixes my issue. Rhonda and I were at Outdoor Resort Indio all winter so I don't think it's a water in the bay problem but I'll check it out and make sure I don't have something leaking. If the breaker makes it 24 hours without tripping it will be the first time in a while. I will also check the power supply in AV cabinet Joel. Thanks again for all the advice. It is appreciated.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine