Author Topic: Surgeguard install  (Read 5386 times)

Adam Hicklin

Surgeguard install
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »
I'm going to be installing a hard wired Surgeguard. Am I right in assuming the two lines on the right of the transfer switch are the incoming lines (genset and shore power) and the one on the left is the load side?  Testing and common sense would indicate yes, but First hand experience is always helpful.  I've also read where people have wired the Surgeguard in with plugs so if the Surgeguard fails, it can be easily bypassed. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. Suggestion/opinions?  Anything else I should know about the install but not smart enough to ask?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Surgeguard install
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »
     Adam,

I believe the schematic is on the inside of the cover. If not, try Surgegard. com for a pdf of the wiring.
      Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »
Adam, mine was just the opposite of yours but yes, the side with the two sets of wires was the input side.  In my case the top set were from the genny and the bottom was from shore power.  I wired the surge protector in between the shore power and the transfer switch.  Some people have said they put it on the output side of the transfer switch to protect against shore power and genny power failing.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:48 AM »
Adam,
There is one thing to consider when deciding if you want to wire the surge protector in the shore power lead before the transfer switch or in the output of the transfer switch to protect the generator output as well as shore power. Remember that there is about a 2 1/2 minute delay in everything that goes through the Surge Guard before coming online. I chose to only run shore power (wired in front of transfer switch) through my Surge Guard because the likely even of a generator problem that would require a Surge Guard is so low that I was not concerned. Therefore, I saved the extra wait time every time that I start the generator.   

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
Thanks Gerald.  I installed after the transfer switch mostly because that was the most convenient. Your're right though, 2.5 minutes doesn't seem like a lot of time but when it's 105 degrees outside and you're waiting to get the AC on, it seems like a lifetime!