Author Topic: Marquis Fuel Tank Size and Fuel Gauge  (Read 5246 times)

Dick Simonis

Marquis Fuel Tank Size and Fuel Gauge
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
I have picked up a small worry seed and seek reassurance.

Our 2000 PT had a 112 gallon fuel tank and the fuel gauge was spot on from 3/4 and lower.  It always agreed with both the Silverleaf and the pump after filling.

Now with the Marquis, I supposedly have a 148 gallon tank but the fuel gauge suggests otherwise.  My last fill-up, the Silverleaf showed 86 gallon burned, the tank took 87 gallons and the fuel gauge was showing 1/4 full.  Now if I had the 112 gallon tank the fuel gauge would have been spot on with both the Silverleaf and the pump but with a 148 gallon tank it should have read just under 1/2.

OK, granted I may be over thinking this but before I try to get my aging body under the coach to actually measure the tank, I figured I would simply ask and see what others have to say.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:12:26 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Marquis Fuel Tank Size and Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
My tank is 148 gallons.  On one fill I remember specifically the gauge said the tank was at one-half.  I filled the tank and nursed in a couple extra gallons, as I always do, and it took 75 gallons.  I do not use the Aladdin or SilverLeaf for monitoring day-to-day fuel usage.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
      Hi Dick,

Just got back from our California Rally and here is how my 148 gallon tank showed fuel consumption. When full, The needle is 3/16" beyond the full hash mark. It stays there for 300 miles and then starts to go down. When the needle gets down to 1/2 full, It takes 80 gallons to refill. Not sure if that helps but i'm pretty sure I have a 148 gallon tank. If you want to calculate gross gallons measure the tank and multipy height X width X lenght in inches and divide by 231 which is cubic inches in a gallon.
       Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:47:48 AM »
Dick could it be possible you have corroded connection at the sender at top of fuel tank. Ran into
This problem with our 2001 Monaco with incorrect reading lower than amount of fuel used.
Dave Atherton

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:38:55 AM »
Dick,
Your coach definitely has a 148 gallon tank. It also has an analog fuel gauge that is very rarely accurate. It is just like the other analog gauges on your dash.... For entertainment purposes only.

You might replace the tank unit a half a dozen times before you get one that you think is accurate. You will get used to the gauge and be able to estimate fuel usage by gauge readings and miles driven. So relax and do not sweat the minor stuff.

Gerald   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:14:42 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
OK, consider me relaxed.  I'll believe the Silverleaf.

Just trying to get everything ready to leave so it's always a rush to take care of last minute details.