Author Topic: Fantastic vent work around  (Read 11148 times)

Adam Hicklin

Fantastic vent work around
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
I came across an old post by Ed Buker describing the installation of a switch on the fantastic fan to prevent the constant cycling of the dome opening and closing.  The post described installing a switch in the Orange wire to to turn the thermostat off.  I sent Ed a private message but I need to post a picture here also.  Hopefully Ed will see and comment.

Mike Groves

Re: Fantastic vent work around
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »
Adam,

I think, given that my coach is a 1999 Marquis Tourmaline, we probably have "dead ringers" for vents.  I know that initially I was frustrated with mine because of the thermostat, but found that if I want them to open and stay open unless it starts raining, I can use the switches to force them open. 

I believe it does what you're wanting to do, ie it opens the vents and disables the thermostat from working. 

When I command mine to open using the switches above the dining room table and on the right hand side of the bathroom vanity, they open, and they stay open unless it starts raining.  It makes no difference what the thermostat is set to in this case.  When I turn these switches off, they close (but in this position the thermostat takes over so they may not close depending on the thermostat setting).

I'll also point out that early morning can make it seem like the switches don't work when you command them to open and that's because of the dew that has triggered the rain sensor.  I've caught myself, a couple times, wondering how both vents could simultaneously fail to open, then realized what was the matter.

I do wish mine had the reverser switch to draw air in.  Right now if I want to draw air in with windows closed I turn one fan on, and that draws air down through the other.

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
Adam,

Saw your private message and post. The thermostat is a switch that keeps opening and closing. If I remember right you just put a switch in series with the orange wire that comes from the thermostat that then goes to the board. If both do either will work. Leaving the switch open over rides the contacts in the thermostat.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:47:54 AM »
I have found a way to cool the bedroom before bedtime.  I open a window or two on the shady side of the coach in the bedroom, and leave all other windows and the door closed throughout the coach, then turn on both Fantastic Fans to their highest speeds.  The hottest air flows along the ceiling finding its way out of the bedroom and into the bathroom and kitchen where the fans are located.  In this way the two fans suck the hottest air off the ceiling.  Someone here on the Forum mentioned he had a Fantastic Fan installed in his bedroom.  I have been thinking about getting that done too, but I wouldn't like the noise, at least, while trying to sleep.

My brother's fans kept cycling open and closed.  I think he unhooked them.  Now they are manual open/close.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
I called fantastic fan and spoke with a fairly knowledgable lady.  She said that the thermostat turned in the full red position should disable the thermostat, rendering it "off". I told her that wasn't the case on both my fans so she said we should try new thermostats (at a cost of $15 each). I ordered them but then......I tried the work around by installing a switch on the Orange wire between the thermostat and circuit board.  Works perfectly now. The new switch basically disconnects the thermostat while leaving the wall switch fully functional.  Now, turn the wall switch on, the dome opens.  Turn the wall switch off, the dome closes and stays closed, regardless of temperature and thermostat setting.  It also eliminates the annoyance of the temp. probe being in the air stream of the fan and cycling on and off within a very narrow temperature range.  So far the hardest part of the job was getting all the stupid trim pieces back together. Thanks Ed. 
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »
Adam,

I used a little hot melt glue to hold all the little spacers in place on the sidewalls and then put the trim back in place. I drilled one hole per side, centered in the L shape bottom trim, and counter sunk them a bit, they are located mid way up on the vertical side of the trim. I can pop that trim down with four screws and not all that prying. Not sure yours is exactly like mine but it works better than the staples or pins. It is nice that the rain sensor still works if you want to leave it on. I changed out the living room one and went to the radio remote control version. It works well. Glad you are happy.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »
I got a message about the cycling from Fantastic Vent that stated the right screw that screws into the vent w/o much support is to be replaced by a 3 inch screw. I did this and the lift motor is very firm now and does not cycle.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
Good thread, at least two of my three fans are doing the same thing.  For the short term, I just pulled the fuse.  There does not seem to be a problem unless it's in the barn and the interior temp gets above 85.  That is not a problem when we're in the coach with the AC working.

Mike Groves

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:54:28 PM »
I got a message about the cycling from Fantastic Vent that stated the right screw that screws into the vent w/o much support is to be replaced by a 3 inch screw. I did this and the lift motor is very firm now and does not cycle.

Richard,

Can you be a bit more specific about this screw and its location, relative to the switches/controls on your fan?

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:15:21 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »
The cycling is a circuit and design issue that I cannot imagine a screw will solve....probably talking about two separate issues. The thermostat gets hot under the lid when it is closed and is in the sun. Then the thermostat turns on, starts the fan, opens the lid, and subsequently cools down the thermal probe which turns the thermostat off and the lid closes which starts the heat and cool cycle over again. The design should have remote mounted the thermal probe elsewhere out of the dome area and had the builder wire it in. The work around is to eliminate the thermostat and just use a simple on off switch control......much better and takes about an hour to do if you do not care about having a switch and several hours if you do.

Later Ed

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 07:29:18 AM »
Richard, when I first got my coach the motor on the bathroom vent would run and not open or close the dome.  The motor unit is held on by two screws: a short screw that threads in to a post, and a long screw which goes all the way up and screws in to the plastic housing next to the crank arm.  On mine that long screw had come loose and allowed the motor to slip off the splined crank arm mechanism. When the motor would activate, it would just endlessly run because there was no resistance to activate the stop.  A couple turns of the long screw pushed the motor back on the spline and all was good.  Tighten the screw too much and it deforms the frame, causing the fan to hit the frame.  The kitchen fan has a different motor and doesn't have the long screw, at least on mine.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
I have my Fantastic Fans wired a little different. The wall switch is wired with the rain sensor to open and close the dome cover, and the thermostat is wired to control the fan motor only. Therefore, the cover stays open anytime that the wall switch is on unless it rains and the fans turn on and off to maintain the set temperature. I also wired an extra switch to control the fan direction. That allows me to set one fan blowing in and the other one blowing out for ventilation for the dogs with all windows closed, but the fans still close if it rains.

I got the wiring diagram and extra switch from the founder of Fantastic Fan free. They can still provide the information, but they will probably charge for the switch.

Gerald