Author Topic: Tire monitoring of newer toads  (Read 5454 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Tire monitoring of newer toads
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:23 AM »
Recent info from Coach-Net and related threads here got me to thinking  :o  .

If one owns one of the newer cars that have tire monitoring built in to them, how does that figure in to outfitting the coach with a tire monitoring system?  For example, we have a '97 Explorer towed behind an '06 Monterey.  If I got a new Explorer, it would come with its own system.  The coach is due for new tires and I want Henderson's to add a steering stabilizer in case of a front blowout someday, and perhaps a tire monitoring system.  How does one deal with adding tire monitors to the coach and monitor the toad as well?  Can aftermarket sensors work over the top of those already included on a toad?  Or is there a device that can tie into the existing toad sensors, remotely displaying them on the coach dash?

Just curious if any members have dealt with the idea yet, as most have toads much newer than ours, but I don't recall the topic being broached before.

-Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

Re: Tire monitoring of newer toads
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:16 AM »
Joel,
I have a newer 2013 Ford Cmax with onboard tire monitoring. I have The TPMS system sold by EEZRV Products. We bought it last March in Perry Ga. from Tim Robertson.

I purchased this system because it has a very readable large screen and Tim included the Remote Extender that is usually needed to read the toads tire sensors.

We have used it for about 12000 miles and it has been very reliable. There is no interference between the onboard toad sensors and the coach TPMS. I have a slight leak in one toad tire and the coach TPMS gives me an alarm before the low pressure alarm is posted on the readout screen for the Ford Cmax.

I have no idea if there is a way to read the onboard toad system remotely or connect it and I never researched that but the TPMS is a winner in my book and has been very helpful to me.I have it almost exclusively so I can monitor the toad tires.

One ironic thing is that the TPMS reads the toads tires when they are in my garage about 60 ft from the coach so I didn't even need the remote extender that Tim included with the TPMS.

I also have the Blue Ox TruCenter [it works] and have the Tyron bands installed on my coach tires.I am trying to be as pro-active as I can be on tire maintenance.

Dan
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »
Joel,
As far as I know, there is no TPMS system that you can install in your coach that will read the factory installed OEM pressure sensors in a toad.

Gerald

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
Joel,
As far as I know, there is no TPMS system that you can install in your coach that will read the factory installed OEM pressure sensors in a toad.

Gerald

But neither does the toad's built-in system interfere in any way with an add-on system.  My TST system doesn't have any issues relative to my CR-V's TPMS system.  They're all digital so the issue of interference that some people ask about is moot.

Joel

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
The only problem that I have seen with using aftermarket TPMS sensors on factory installed sensors is that some factory installed sensors use aluminum valve stems that can cause a brass sensor to seize from bimetal corrosion. Therefore, if you have aluminum OEM valve stems you need to either use aluminum TPMS sensors or anti-seize tread lubricant to prevent having to break off your valve stems to remove the sensors.

Gerald