Author Topic: Dually valve line  (Read 3921 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Dually valve line
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »
The flexible fill valve line from my inner dually is connected to the edge of the hub with a bracket near the fill valve and what appears to be two very small screws into the hub.  One is intact and I noticed today that one has lost its connection.  I've wrapped it back in position with -- you guessed it -- a hunk of duct tape as I can imagine a problem with the line flapping around at 55 mph.  Heading to the tire guys on our way for a 4-day weekend tomorrow.  Curious if this can be quickly repaired.

Larry

Gerald Farris

Re: Dually valve line
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:37:20 AM »
Larry,
My choice would be to remove the flexible lines, and install a straight valve extension with a stabilizer gourmet in the outer wheel where the extension comes through. The flexible fill lines are prone to leaks.

Gerald   

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Lawrence, I have had the same problem. To fix it I was able to pop rivet the bracket back onto the chrome cover. It has held for several years now but when I replace my tires next year I plan on doing what Gerald suggests.
Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
I just changed out my braided flexible lines for the extensions with the rubber fitted grommet that Gerald is referring to. They are available from Les Schwab's in Coburg OR and the price was $120. There are other places that sell these but Coburg is familiar with our coaches and will ship you what you need. These are more secure then the braided hoses as Gerald points out. You will need to describe the type holes you have in the outer aluminum wheel (mine were round) in order to get the proper kit. These are not extensions and you will need the tires to be off the rims in order to mount them. In the end you will have one piece metal piping from the rim to the Schrader valve at the other end with no extra joints to leak or pressurized flexible tubing. I would not change your tires without making this upgrade if you have not already.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:47 PM »
The Bob Dickman/Les Schwab in Junction City, OR sold and installed my Michelin tires a few years ago.  I think it was about the time of the Bac to the Future rally.  I had the factory flexible hoses replaced with the solid extensions and wheel grommets.  Last year I developed a slow leak of about 5 pounds a week.  I went to a Les Schwab in Milton (near Tacoma) and asked them to find the leak.  I thought they would find a nail.  They took the wheels off, sprayed the soapy water and found the exterior valve stem nut needed about a quarter turn.  They put the wheels back on and charged me nothing.  This year exactly the same thing happened on the left side.  Again no charge.  The Les Schwab chain is a nice place to do business.

Apparently with around 30,000 miles of driving, there is enough movement of the stem stretching between the wheels that vibration will loosen the valve stem nut.  Either that or the first installer didn't get it right.