Author Topic: engine warning codes  (Read 6849 times)

Tic Wilson

engine warning codes
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »
Gerald Farris, you are the knowledgeable person that can help me.  Long story begins with us traveling thru the mountains somewhere in the past 3 months.  2005 Monterey 400hp Cat C9.  I used the exhaust brake on some steep long downgrades.  (step on brake to disengage cruise control, then flip the switch, apply brake as needed to control speed).  After some repeats of this, I had a yellow check engine light flashing.  Oil pressure good, engine and transmission heat gauge good.  I switched off the cruise control and the light stopped flashing.  Sometime later on level terrain, I tried the cruise again and everything was good.
Today, we left South Tahoe headed to Reno.  Same scenario, altho this time when I turned off the cruise it did not make a difference.
The check engine light would flash several times then go out, finally stayed off and we made our scheduled stop.  I followed the instructions in my Cat owners manual and pulled error codes.  error code 25, 16, 16, 57.  We never lost power, all seemed normal.
The error code 25 says "An Inlet Air Pressure Sensor Circuit Fault".  I could not find an explanation for error code 16.  BTW, I had my navigator double check me and 3 times we had the same results.  I read thru the BAC forum and did multiple searches for an answer.  No banana!  My owners CAT Manual does not show An Inlet Air Pressure Sensor, but shows an inlet air temp sensor and an "Atmospheric Pressure Sensor", so I have no idea what sensor is being called out as problematic.  Finally to wrap this up, both times this has happened to me, has been after extended use of the exhaust brake.  How do I check the operation of the exhaust brake?  Is this a maintenance item?  What's next Gerald?  And Thanks!

Gerald Farris

Re: engine warning codes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »
Tic,
The inlet air pressure sensor is what reads the turbo boost pressure. Unless you are an experienced diesel mechanic with access to equipment to read the engine sensor output, my suggestion would be to visit your Cat dealer. Just throwing parts at a problem without properly diagnosing it will end up costing your more money as often as it saves you money.

Gerald   

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
Tic,
Not sure if this applies but on my C12, if I press the cruise control on/off button multiple times with the jake on, the check engine light will come on. Once I turned the jake off and then turned on the cruise, light went out. Didn't check engine codes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »
Steve's comment on multiple pressing "on" of the cruise control is a known problem that causes a false error code indicator. Ken Robertson at BCS brought it up when I bought my coach there. I have also had it come on my coach but I am not sure if it stores any code. BCS may be able to shed some light on your problem if they have seen it before. The CAT dealer, as Gerald points out, is probably your best bet. You might check with them to see if you have the latest level of software flashed into the ECU. Some of the errors are false and they will modify the software limits and durations of sensor values to eliminate false codes...in essence the programs get smarter at detecting what is a real issue as time goes on. Sometimes a software update can help.

Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Variation on the same theme:  On my Dynasty, 450 Cummins, 2 stage Jake Brake,  On our first trip in this "new" vehicle, everything worked for the first couple of days, then the ABS light came on and the cruise control stopped working.  CC hasn't worked since.  I took the coach in to a service centre in Victoria, for other reasons, but had them try to find the ABS fault and correct it.  After checking everything they could think to check, no fault was found, but the ABS light was no longer on.  Now, when I turn on Cruise Control, the green CC light is on, but I get no further.  Every once in a while, the ABS light comes on, but usually goes out the next time I shut down.  CC still not working.  It would be nice to have CC again, but isn't that difficult driving without it, so I am not motivated to make a special trip to any service centre for help.  Any ideas?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 02:50:50 AM »
Mr. Wilson I can be of help on your problem. What you are getting is called a ( event codes ) it
can come in a form of warning, derate or shut down. Your code E016 is high engine coolant warning.
warning lamp will stay on while event is happening. If you are in Derate mode warning lamp will
flash while event is happening and engine power will derated. Shutdown mode warning lamp will flash
while event is happening and engine will shut down.  Dave Atherton retired cat mechanic.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett