Author Topic: Dometic Fridge Vent Fans  (Read 4667 times)

Dick Simonis

Dometic Fridge Vent Fans
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »
Our PT had the Norcold 1200 and it had vent vans that would come on at some temperature to assist the cooling.  Now we have a Dometic side by side....NDR1292 I believe.

The question is, does the Dometic have fans and, if not, should I consider adding some sort of ventilation??

Thanks for any input.

Dick

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Dometic Fridge Vent Fans
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »
Dick,
On our Contessa the fans were separate from the reefer so replacing the reefer should not have affected the fans unless the installers removed them. I haven't checked my Dometic but it cools better than the Norcold and air flow across the coils is key to the unit's efficiency.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:40:34 AM »
Dick,
I am pretty sure that your Dometic refrigerator does not have a cooling fan for the coils unless someone added one. You can add one if you think that it is necessary, but very few owners see the need. The best way to add one if you need it is to remove the vent cap and add one or two muffin fans there that are controlled by a thermostat placed below them in the air stream from the coils.

Some gas absorption refrigerators require a fan in the cooling coil area because they actually require a compressor cooling unit for the icemaker to furnish enough ice. These fans are for the compressor refrigeration system and have nothing to do with the gas absorption section. But other gas absorption refrigerators need a fan for the cooling coils because of inadequate air flow over the coils without a fan.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I was curious because my Dometic suddenly decided not to cool very well.  Last time I used it the temps were fine (0 in the freezer, 32 fridge) than after sitting a month or so it only cooled to 25 freezer and 45 fridge after running 2-3 days.  For some reason it suddenly fixed itself and is now OK but it did make me wonder about a fan.

While poking around in the innards it appears the tubes are much larger that the Norold.  The tubes also seem to run much cooler.  The Norcold tubes were very hot to the touch where these are merely warm.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
Dick,
While poking around, be sure to have the reefer OFF. If you do have muffin fans above the coils like my Norcold did, a screwdriver or wood probe will take out a fan blade or 2 (I speak from experience) if they are on. Try using a mirror and flash light and you should be able to see the fans if they are there. You can also look down from above after removing the roof shield.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp