Author Topic: Help - 2015 Ford Tow Vehicles  (Read 8345 times)

Margaret Cook

• BAC Member
Help - 2015 Ford Tow Vehicles
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:07:01 AM »
We are trying to decide whether to purchase a 2015 Ford Explorer or a 2015 Ford Edge for our new tow vehicle. The owner's manual (depending on which version of each manual) is requiring that the battery be disconnected whenever towing. Granted, a somewhat convenient disconnect could be installed, but we are hesitant to go to the extra effort in using this.

Has anyone had any experience on using either of these vehicles as a tow vehicle? And, do you disconnect the battery when towing, or use a work-around? If the battery is disconnected, how do you power the supplemental brake and tow lights?

And, does anyone have any knowledge on Ford's reasoning for disconnecting the battery?  Local dealers only guess is that the battery will be drained if it is not disconnected. Couldn't we just run a charge line from the motor home to keep the tow vehicle battery charged as we have done in our Honda CRV?

Thanks, Margaret and Bill Cook
Margaret Cook
2005 Monterey
Cat C-9
2016 Jeep Grand Cheeroke

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Re: Help - 2015 Ford Tow Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
Hi Margaret,
We flat tow a 2011 Ford Edge Sport with All wheel Drive and do not disconnect the battery but do have a charging line included in the connection between the coach (05 Beaver Patriot) and the Edge. This is required because the vehicle needs to remain in accessory mode with the auto trans in neutral. There is a pin in the connector designed for this purpose. Otherwise, as you suspected, the battery will drain. I do suggest you confirm with the owners manual however just in case the new models are different. I believe the Explorers are the same.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat
The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook, Bill Cook

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »
The chart for 2015 on FMCA tow guide says Edge and Explorer can be towed except for the 2.0 echo boost.  The caviat is that they must be started and run daily and every six hours while traveling.
We tow an Explorer ltd.  Our next tow car will be the Lincoln MKX.

Good luck

2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Hi Margaret,

We tow a 2014 Edge Limited and did have the battery go bad which was replaced by Ford at no charge.  Since then I have installed a toadcharge and this seems to have solved the problem.

I looked in the FMCA Dingy Towables  for 2015 and the Edge is not listed although the Explorer is, so be careful and make sure to check the manual for the Edge before you purchase it. 

Good luck, 

Paul

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
Hi Margaret,

We tow a 2013 Explorer Sport. The manual has changed since as mine does not say to disconnect the battery although I understand why as the Explorer battery will go dead pretty quick.

When I first bought it and ran it I had no problem as I have a charge line from the coach to the battery. It did go weak/dead a couple of times last fall but attributed it to too long a day with a less than fully charged battery before the days drive. Again this spring had a couple of issues coming back from Texas and have now attributed it to a bad line from the coach - one of those troublesome electrical things that when you test it one day it works, but the next time it doesn't. Essentially when the charge line from the coach works, then no problem. I, like Paul, have bought a Toad Charge (really just an expensive couple of breakers) and will install it but from the house batteries rather than the chassis. That way the car will be charged while driving and also over night when the coach is plugged in.

One other thing, with my limited understanding of how new vehicles work is that the Explorer's electronics can be tricked or fooled into thinking the battery is dead/low when it is not especially when there is a draw but no charge. For instance, one time pulled into a campground after a number of hours of driving - tried to start, but no go. Out of curiosity took meter and showed 4v on battery terminals - obviously totally dead. Put my high power boost pack on battery for a minute or so, fired up Explorer let run for 5 minutes (with boost pack off), turned off. Then 1/2 hour later tested with meter and it was 12.6 v - not strong but not dead; car started right up.

Jeff
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Margaret Cook, Bill Cook

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
I appreciate you fellows replying to Margaret.  Our '97 Explorer, "Pearl", needed only a $100 Neutral Tow Kit installed to tow.  I understood that the new Explorers of the last few years, at least the models we prefer, were towable without any additional contrivances like a Neutral Tow Kit.  In our case the 4X4 or AWD Explorer suits better than the Edge, but I only wish it was still available with the air suspension Pearl has;  the added ground clearance has taken me over mountain streams, rocks, and roads, mud, deep beach sand, and ice and rutted snow, and she's plowed through drifts to clear a way for the coach.

All that plus the fact that Pearl's hood and grill are already gravel-pocked from before I installed a Roadmaster Guardian, and we don't really want to risk beating up the front of a new car, has left us hanging on to dear Pearl.  The older we get the more we appreciate her air suspension too - when parked, she lowers down for ease of ingress and egress, and airs up higher when started and with each successive change in 4X4 status.

The additional information about the battery charging issue on recent models is enlightening and appreciated.  I may explore that with Ford if we ever do change toads, but the aftermarket charging device is certainly good to know about.  The FMCA towing guide does not make mention of disconnecting the battery or any other effort needed to prevent discharge of either the Edge or the Explorer;  only that the EcoBoost 2.0 4 cylinder is not towable four wheels down, for whatever reason.  Perhaps the FMC editors should be alerted that another footnote is needed re. these particular cars.

-Joel
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:10:57 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:43 AM »
We tow a 2012 Ford Edge and do not disconnect the battery. We have towed up to 6 hours without any adverse effects. However the Ford manual does say that while towing, speed should be limited to 65 mph maximum. I have exceeded this speed and haven't seen any problems yet. So far so good with the Edge. A 2015 however may have different characteristics.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Margaret Cook, Bill Cook

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
The simple fix for me was installing a Sears Diehard AGM battery. The Delco installed by the factory is the bare minimum and not deep cycle rated. I ran the charge wire also. I tow a 2013 Buick Regal and don't have to pull any fuses, just put it in neutral and key in accessory position. At my lunch stop I start it and set the smart phone for 30 minutes (I am approaching 72) and at the end of the day I give 30 minutes of boost. The beauty of AGM is they recharge rapidly and are maintenance free. I leave Wichita, Ks 29 Nov. and take 3 1/2 days driving to Titusville, Fla. It never fails to start and we seldom disconnect during the trip. Safe traveling everyone!
The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook

Jeff Watt

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
George,

If Ford doesn't give me a replacement under warranty, then I might try the deep cycle route as well. As mentioned, if the power line from the coach works, then I haven't had problems. Instead of trying to trace why the power is intermittent I am going to tie off that line and run another line to the 7 pin plug. I already changed the power line into the Explorer from the pitiful 16 gauge to 10 gauge. Bought a heavy duty umbilical cord from coach to explore with 10-12 gauge wires for all connections (blue ox cable is only 14-16 gauge).

Joel, Margaret

I had a 06 explorer which would be very similar to yours Joel, although w/o air ride. They were built on a small truck chassis, therefore good ground clearance etc. An issue I have with these new model Explorers is, I think, they are designed primarily for 4 wheeling in urban settings. The front dam on mine is so low that it hits curb parking barriers. And when I foolishly took it out in the snow once there is (on mine with turbo eco boost) an intake for the intercooler which promptly got plugged after hitting a couple of drifts. I doubt Ford really expects us to take these new style Explorers off roading regardless of the fancy dial which lets you select between normal or mud/snow or sand. Otherwise it is a nice unit, rides well, goes great and is comfortable. My suggestion is if you are into more serious off-roading get something else. Stating that, I have taken it on the back roads around Creede Co, and on the scenic road at monument valley which is rock and sand.

Jeff

The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook