Author Topic: Tailgater DISH  (Read 5099 times)

KC Snellgrove

Tailgater DISH
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
GOOD DAY TO ALL! I am thinking about purchasing a DISH Tailgater for our Beaver Monterey does anyone have any information that might help me make this discussion of whether to get one or a satellite permanent mount to replace our KingDome?

Thank you.

KC Snellgrove
Olivia Jean 2005 Beaver Monterey 38'

Dave Blystone

Re: Tailgater DISH
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
we used the old style (white) last winter in fla. it worked well  now we are going to buy the new black one
I think you will be pleased  with it if it works as well as the old one does
dave blystone
2001 patriot 33
2014 ford flex toad

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »
the new black one has two connections for two tv receivers now, also comes with a mount plate to permanently install on your roof too.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:15:12 AM »
We have an RF Mogul satellite dish mounted on top of the coach.  It was mounted new when we purchased the coach in August 2012.  I do not know its cost nor mounting cost since it was part of the purchase package when we bought the coach.  Except for having to replace the base one time, which was sent to me at no charge from Mogul in Salt Lake City, it has worked nearly flawlessly.  And Mogul sent the directions along with a $100 check for my trouble to change out the defective base.  I did the change myself in 45 minutes and cashed the check.  I say "nearly flawlessly" because sometimes it doesn't home-in properly on all three DISH satellites (110, 119, and 129) and I have to ask it to redo its search.  Rarely have I had to ask it to redo the search more than one time.

My brother has a Tailgater dish.  He simply sets it on the ground and hooks up the TV cable, and it seeks to find the appropriate satellite for whatever TV channel the receiver is on.  My understanding is the Tailgater only homes-in on one satellite, so if a TV channel change requires a different satellite, then it finds the different and appropriate satellite in a few seconds.  Our Mogul has three LNB heads and locks onto all three DISH satellites at once.  Once set it does not have to move to find any other satellites.

One thing worth mentioning.  My brother's Tailgater dish is portable.  When traveling he disconnects it and it rides in the coach until he stops and sets it up again.  When he parks overnight he always locks it to the coach with a long, braided steel cable to prevent it from being stolen.  This past winter he had his portable Honda generator locked to his coach with a similar cable, and it was stolen overnight while he was in bed.  Tailgater dishes and (especially) Honda portable generators are favorite theft items.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:50:40 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!