Author Topic: Generator Line Noise??  (Read 3193 times)

Dick Simonis

Generator Line Noise??
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »
Today I stuck the MH nose our of the barn to run the satellite receiver for a while so all the programming would get up to date.  That worked fine and after an hour or so that was taken care of.  While it was out, I fired up the gen set to run the AC since it's a bit toasty today.  Low and behold, the receiver (Dish Hopper) started to reset itself every few minutes and that was a bit of a concern.

It has worked fine on the inverter (Prosine 3 KW).  Next, I backed it into the barn a bit further so the shore power cable would reach and fired it back up.  All seems fine so far.

This info has led be so suspect the quality of the AC from the gen set.  Voltage and frequency indicates good on the CMP panel so I'm back to a noisy line.

Has anyone else noticed this???  And secondly would a small filter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ULTRABLOK-Protector-Suppressor/dp/B00006B81D/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432754808&sr=8-7&keywords=power+line+noise+filter

be useful??

Edward Buker

Re: Generator Line Noise??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
Dick,

It is possible that unit might work and worth a try. There are UPC uninterruptable power supplies for computers etc that may also work if the unit you linked to does not. Electronic power supplies are switching supplies that can be sensitive to waveform and it seems like that may be the issue as you suspect.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

Re: Generator Line Noise??
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
Thanks Ed, I went ahead and ordered it and will try it out.  Since I seldom run the sat receiver from the gen set, it'n not a big deal.