Author Topic: Filter  (Read 5718 times)

Jim Shaw

Filter
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »
My 2003 Beaver Monterey has a small filter in the back bay that I believe is for the turbo. It is rectangular and just slides in place. I have a Cummins 350. It does not have a number on it. Has anyone changed one and if so do you no the filter number.
Thanks
Jim Shaw

Roy C Tyler

Re: Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »
Jim
Mine has a number printed on the side of the orange frame..: WIX 42170  278C2W .    Mine is pretty dirty and I am about ready to have the MH serviced so I will ask them to change it.  This is the rectangular filter in the electrical bay on the rear driver's side.  It covers the end of the box where the air filter is.

Actually, after removing it and looking inside the hole it covers, I think all it does is prevent dirt and dust from coming back inside the electrical bay.

You can buy a case of six here for under $30.     http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix42170.html   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:19:57 AM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:16:13 AM »
Jim,
I can not determine what you are referring to, but there is no separate filter for the turbo. The turbo only receives air from the engine air filter. It is possible that it is the intake for the crankcase vent system, but most diesel engines draw crankcase vent air from the intake system as does the engine driven air compressor. Do you have a picture?

Gerald

Jim Shaw

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
Gerald it is the one that Chuck indicated. The website had a picture of it so I will order one. Thanks Chuck.
Gerald I guess it is just for the electric bay but unsure why there is a need. any ideas on that?
Thanks everyone,
Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
Jim,
I have no idea why there would be an air filter for a bay without looking at the installation.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
They could take a picture of the filter install so Gerald would be able to provide us some clues. I added an automotive filter to a vented area under the bed of our older Contessa because so much dirt from the engine compartment would get into the inverter charger area. I'm guessing it could be just a vent with an air filter to keep the dirt out. It is in some form of air stream if it tends to get dirty and if the inverter is in the compartment its intent may have been to let some cool air exchange although it would be pretty ineffective without a forced draft.

later Ed