Author Topic: Splendide --- Flood!  (Read 12170 times)

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
Splendide --- Flood!
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »
Well we are on the road, stopped for the night and it's 11 PM.  I asked where the plastic bags are?  She said "I put them in the Splendide"   We have never used the darn thing anyway so that's OK. 

Next scene is a real hoot!

I opened the door to retrieve the plastic bags and water pours out... not a little but imagine if you will the the d** thing is full of water.  Holy Hanna!  The Johns Town flood thru the middle of the Beaver

So OK we use every towel in the coach and it still is wet. The bedroom carpet, the kitchen, the bathroom.  When were done drying, the floor never looked so clean.   Well anyway what the heck happened?

Back to beginning, a few days prior to our trip.  I ran water into the coach water system with a cup of bleach to sanitize it, filled the tank 25% ran water thru all the taps till I smelled the bleach, I left the water supply on.  The next morning I noticed the area outside below the Washer/Dryer was leaking.  So I turned off the water supply and drained the system to remove the pressure. Found standing water under the drawer next to the washer dryer combo.  So I shut that circuit off to the Splendide and dried the coach.  The next day I turned on the water and no leak!  I must confess, I never thought about looking inside the unit, it was a connection I assumed and I can fix it later.  Right!

All was well or so I thought!  Till I opened the door!

So does any one have an idea why this thing decided to open its fill valve and fill to capacity?  what could cause this? And just to add this into the mix, 5 years and we never even turned it on.

If you can stop laughing long enough, I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts as to why this happen or similar experiences. 

Another fine mess we got here!

Off to bed!

Bill
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Edward Buker

Re: Splendide --- Flood!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Bill,

If you never turned it on I would guess that the fill valve seat has dried out from lack of use or in some way is defective. Maybe a bleach mix at the valve over some period did something to it.

I would run it through a cycle empty and see if it works as it should and then leave the door open and check it periodically and see if it has any water accumulation while the water lines are pressurized in the coach. The normal fill level I do not think would have had the kind of water you describe coming out the door so the fill valve has to be the culprit. Not sure if there is one or two valves involved in this system for hot and cold. Either at the outside panel or behind the washer/dryer unit there should be shut offs if it does leak or you just want to not deal with it seeing you do not use it anyway.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
On our first major outing after purchasing our coach and while at the Blanchard, ID rally (in the Fall of 2013, I think it was) we were enjoying a leisurely afternoon sitting outside when our neighbor came running around the coach yelling, "You're leaking!"  Our grey waste tank had filled up and was running over the shower stall (its lowest point of exit) onto the bathroom floor... and through the floor into the basement... and through the basement floor onto the parking pad.  We are soooo happy to have been home!  After some searching, I found our Splendide's hot water valve was leaking.  We had used the Splendide perhaps once in the year we owned the coach, and that was only to learn how to use it.  I turned off the Splendide's hot water supply at the water bay and that stopped the pass-by leak.

This past Winter while in the Yuma Foothills we had the Splendide hot water valve replaced in conjunction with some warranty work on the Norcold.  It wasn't terribly expensive because the service call cost was attributed to the Norcold repair.  What we found out was the hot water valve was available, but the cold water valve was not.  Go figure.  The servicemen from Precision RV (I think they called themselves) told me that if the cold water valve had been the leaker, then our Splendide would have been ready for the junk pile.

The guys and gal from Precision RV live in Bend in the Summers and live in Yuma in the Winters.  They have a mobile repair service.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:40:59 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Doug Wray

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
I've used Jason with Accurate RV several times. Both in Bend and in Yuma... I recommend him strongly... He stands behind his work...

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
ahaaaa... Accurate RV, not Precision RV.  There was a Precision RV shop near the South Frontage and Foothills Blvd intersection.  That must be where "Precision" came from, eh... pulled out of the muck and mire of gray matter too many years old.  I turned 66 a week ago.  Obviously, I have CRS syndrome.  But I scored 3 over par on Monday and 5 over par yesterday.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
I've used Jason with Accurate RV several times. Both in Bend and in Yuma... I recommend him strongly... He stands behind his work...

Jason may be good on Splendide's but he is not on Hurricanes.  @ years ago when he was working for Sunbum (Patty and Rob Pierce), he "repaired our Hurricane that was faulting out ... well, it Yuma, you don't need the Hurricane very much so when we hit the road last spring, it was till faulting out.  Guess a trip to ITR is in the future.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »
@ years ago when he was working for Sunbum (Patty and Rob Pierce), he "repaired our Hurricane that was faulting out ... well, it Yuma, you don't need the Hurricane very much so when we hit the road last spring, it was till faulting out.  Guess a trip to ITR is in the future.

Just a suggestion; in April we had our Hurricane removed, shipped to ITR and reinstalled for a lot less money than the cost and inconvenience of driving there.  It cost us a bunch for shipping because we were short of time and paid to expedite it, but if you were able to send it via UPS ground the cost wouldn't be all that bad. We shipped everything, including the circuit board.  Kevin at ITR had the system diagnosed and on its way back to us in less than two days.  The fuel pump, compressor and regulator was all replaced, plus a few of the common maintenance parts so it wasn't such a simple repair.

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »
Sorry I haven't had time to reply and update. After everything dried up, I ran the unit thru a complete cycle to dry it out, (thanks Ed for the suggestion).

I haven't tried the different water feeds to see which one, hot or cold, lets the water in the unit. But I will, hopefully it is the Hot side that is leaking.  But we are considering removing them to increase storage.

Other than that we had a great trip.

On another subject the Fantastic Fans are not so Fantastic right now.  I will search the Forum for help with this one, Both Fantastic Fans keep closing and opening back up on their own for no apparent reason.  This starts after the unit have been opened up.  Then later they keep trying to close then reopen.

I know Beaver has the fans wired differently so you can use the open/close rocker switch. So I will see if someone on the Forum site has had the similar problem.

Thanks for the help,

Bill
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »
Yeah, Bill, the fans are a common problem.  Your search should turn up plenty of discussion, including one not so long ago.  Leaving them in a non-automatic position is one solution, but to mine and others' minds, the thermosensors should ideally be placed somewhere besides right in the air passageway where they cool off as soon as the fan causes airflow over them.

I envision moving the thermosensor down inside the coach, perhaps mounted alongside and perpendicular to the fan frame and against the ceiling material or slightly away from it.  One could make a presentable plastic or stained wooden cover/housing for it so it would look innocuous, and mount the sensor so it can still get ambient indoor air via vents in the cover but without actually touching it or the ceiling.  Vents would need to be construed such that air can't flow directly through them and into the fan opening.  At least it wouldn't cool down bigtime immediately upon fan startup. 

I'd expect Fantastic Fan, Inc. to know best, but it would also seem to me that a thermosensor with a wider on/off range might be a better option.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:54:43 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
The Fantastic Fans on our 2000 Patriot Thunder do not have the thermostat features that Joel Ashley discusses; I would assume yours are the same as ours.  There's nothing unusual in how the fans are wired; Beaver used an OEM version of the fan that is intended to work just as it does.  The open close rocker switch does just that and the fan will turn on to whatever speed setting has been selected. 

If the fans are opening and closing on their own then I assume there is an electrical problem that is causing power to turn on and off repeatedly. Remember, it's not as if one position of the rocker switch is open and the other is closed.  The lift motor runs until it reaches a stop.  When my fan cover sticks and won't open occasionally, I just push the rocker switch to the other position and it will try to open again. Even though you know that the rocker switch is reversing the polarity each time, the motor still runs the only way it can which is to open. 

My hunch is that you have electrical problems, possibly in the switches, but I'm at a loss to explain why both have failed in the same manner.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 03:57:15 AM »
Bill,
There are several things that can be causing your problem. A dirty rain sensor will cause the problem that you described if your fans are so equipped. Other than that the highest possibility is a malfunctioning circuit board in the fan. I would call technical support at Fantastic Fan and let them walk you through troubleshooting the issue. Every time that I have dealt with them they have been very helpful.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
Bill,

Read this thread. The design is not so great and they can be modified to avoid this issue by either adding a switch or cutting and taping off a wire.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2572.msg19267.html#msg19267

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
Bill,

Read this thread. The design is not so great and they can be modified to avoid this issue by either adding a switch or cutting and taping off a wire.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2572.msg19267.html#msg19267

Later Ed

The OP has a 2000 PT; as I stated in my previous post my 2000 PT doesn't have fans with temperature control or rain sensors.  It's possible the OP's have been changed out and replaced with fancier ones, but it's also possible that his are exactly like mine in which case none of the recent posts are germane to his problem.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 03:00:43 AM »
Joel,

It sounded so much like the thermostat issue that I thought that it could have one. The tread is self correcting in that if he doesn't have a thermostat,  there will be no orange wire going to the thermostat that gets cut.

Later Ed