Author Topic: Hose protector?  (Read 9688 times)

Carol Moffett

Hose protector?
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
I am attaching this picture for Keith...

"This looks to me (Keith) to be a heat shield.  It was found, just lying loose, on top of our C12.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Keith  :)
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Edward Buker

Re: Hose protector?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »
Keith,

There is that hose that tends to fail that goes near the turbo on the way to the filter on the frame. Most of us have removed it and maybe that was done to yours. This heat shield could have come off of that hose and was left on top of the motor if yours has been modified and removed. Just a wild guess....

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Ed, do you refer to the modification that eliminates the water filter after the change over to extended life coolant?  I dont believe mine has been done though ELC has.  This does look like a hose protector doesnt it.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »
Keith,
Ed is right in that the part you pictured looks like the heat shield for the coolant filter hose. If your coach still has that hose in use, you should either replace it with a heat resistant silicone hose or remove it and plug the hose fittings. That hose is a guaranteed failure on a C12 if left alone.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Keith,

Yes, as Gerald pointed out to all of us that one hose is a real issue. I can remember that there was heat shield involved which was one of the problems because although it protected the hose somewhat you could not examine it and see how brittle it was becoming. Just behind the alternator is where that hose originated and if it was removed there will be a plug in the hole. Unfortunately I did not photograph the exact location. I believe the plug behind the alternator had a hex head on it and was a hydraulic type plug. Gerald had passed along what type plugs were needed and he may be able to better define exactly where that plug is located if yours has been modified. It is in the region of the upper block area behind the alternator and quite close to the alternator. Maybe someone has a photo they can post.

You could have had that hose removed but someone could just leave the filter housing on the frame rail and have it be disconnected. Probably the worst case scenario would be to have someone have changed the hose and connected it but forgot to slip the heat shield over it and left it that way. Worth some investigation.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »
A little off topic but related.  What is the coolant line that leads to the coolant filter made out of?  Metal or some type of rubber hose?  If metal, is that the one that needs to have the heat shield installed?Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
Jerry,

The hoses that go to the filter are made of rubber. The only hose that is an issue, that we are refering to, originates near the alternator but travels close to the turbo and exhaust manifold. That is the section that gets hot and brittle and tends to fails. I do not know if your year coach has the issue with a C12. The SMC era coaches have the issue and maybe the Roadmaster C12 versions could also have the problem but I am not sure if a factory change was incorperated somewhere along the way....really not sure, maybe Gerald or an owner of your vintage/model coach has the answer.

Later Ed

Mike Groves

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
All,

I was over getting my coach ready for travel, and looked at the connection of this hose.  It appears that there is a short (maybe 6 inch) rubber hose connecting a harder (didn't feel rubbery to me).  On the '99s the cooling overflow tank is configured differently so perhaps more than that is configured differently.  Once again I have to ask other '99 Marquis owners, what does yours look like, and have you done this "mod". 

Thanks
Mike

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »
Thanks all.  The reason I asked is because I had my coach in for some service and they identified a metal cooling pipe of some sort that was rusted through.  Said it cost 750.00 to buy a new one so they made one for 350 and installed.  Just curious and haven't had a chance to go back and ask yet.  Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 08:36:56 AM »
Here is the link to the thread about filter bypass by Gerald. 

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,317.msg34396/topicseen.html#msg34396

This should eliminate the competing threads.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »
Gerald
When Jeremy had this problem you told him to leave a short line behind the alternator and plug it with a 3/8 bolt and clamp.  This was to be a temporary fix.
For us slow to catch on could you clairify how to plug the port behind the alternator and then the one in the manifold as well.  Seems to me that if there is a short hose on the manifold with a bolt or plug and clamp it will still be subject to the heat only now with no heat shield?

On our engine the hose from by the alternator runs around the alternator and (through a heat shield) across the front of the engine to the filter.  The other hose runs behind the motor (through shielding) across the transmission and down to the manifold.

There is a third hose that looks a bit like a hydraulic hose runs from up by the tranny and terminates in the engine block near the manifold.  It has a 90 degree metal connector on it.  This hose is also shielded except for the connector but if one hose can cook in the shielding wont this one as well?

Thanks for your patience
Keith
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:33:48 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
Thanks to all.  That loose heat shield tube had me going some.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Keith,
Plugging the 3/8 inch coolant filter hose below the alternator with a bolt and clamp is just a temporary repair until you can attain a 7/16 hydraulic plug with an O-ring and a 1/2 NPT plug for the manifold.

I am not sure which other hose you are referring to from your description.

Gerald   

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
Thanks Gerald, those are the numbers I needed.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!