Author Topic: Fuel Gauge  (Read 3820 times)

Jim Shaw

Fuel Gauge
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
Getting ready to start my trip to the east coast and doing my normal checks. Yesterday I noticed that my fuel gauge is reading full all the time. It does change a little when the ignition switch is turned on and off. I have driven 200 miles since it was full so I know it should be around 3/4 full. I have checked the wiring at the sending unit and at the gauge and all seems ok.
Jim Shaw
2003 Monterey
ISC 350

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:46 AM »
To properly diagnose a fuel gauge, you disconnect the wire at the tank unit from the dash gauge and connect it to a rheostat. As you vary the resistance with the rheostat the dash gauge will read from full with an open circuit to empty with the required resistance. If you know the specified resistance for different readings on the dash gauge you can determine that everything in the gauge system is operating properly except the tank unit. So if you have an inaccurate gauge and everything else checks out, you have a bad tank unit.

Usually, but not always, the dash gauge and wiring are OK if the gauge reads full with the wire at the tank unit disconnected, and empty with it grounded.

Gerald      
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:25:18 PM by 14 »