Author Topic: Another headlight question  (Read 15491 times)

Mike Groves

Re: Another headlight question
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 01:34:09 AM »
Adam,

Well, that's probably why he did what he did and chewed some carpet out to get to those screws.  I just stood back hoping the whole thing would solve the problem.  Now that I've read your post, I now know how to extricate it next time.

Could water have come up through the screw holes?  Should I, perhaps, remove mine put a little Lexel in the holes and screw them back in?

Thanks Adam,
Mike

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »
Mike,

The screws didn't go all the way through the floor so water didn't get in that way.  The tack strip at the edge of the carpet looked like it had been wet. It was definitely a leak from the window. I saw some evidence of it when I bought the coach but it hasn't leaked since I've owned it.  Hoping its past damage but I'll keep an eye on it. 

That's one project down, 364 to go.....

Mike Groves

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »
Adam,

Well, lucky you, I've been trying to fix a window leak on that driver's side since I've had the coach.  Even paid someone some money to tell me they couldn't find a leak.  It only leaks when the coach is tilted downward to the front, so that the water runs off the gutter onto the window and down.  It appeared to me that it might be running into the window drain hole most forward, so my latest fix is to plug that hole up and forget about it as a drain, just to make sure its not used as an entry point.  But I've not been in any rain since I've done that so the jury is still out.

Again, similar coaches, probably the same window on that driver's side.  In 2000 they changed the style a little.

Thanks for the info on the screws.

Mike

Joel Weiss

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »

Well, lucky you, I've been trying to fix a window leak on that driver's side since I've had the coach. 

I had a similar problem in the same place for the first ~2 yrs after I bought my coach.  The leak would come in somewhere above the driver but it was occasional and we could never find it.  Finally, I decided to replace all the ICC lights on the front cap because I could see cracks.  Magically, the leak went away and hasn't returned.  That was ~2 yrs ago.

Mike Groves

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 11:46:25 PM »
Joel,

I have an additional clue to the puzzle, however, and that is when the coach sits tilted slightly backward, the leak doesn't happen.  What I mean is water from the roof comes down into the gutter going backward versus spilling out the front of the gutter down onto the window.  Unlike yours mine has been very predictable - rain, coach slightly tipped forward, and bingo, the fabric beneath the window starts getting wet initially from the front spreading backwards.

I'd read about the lights in the cap, but thought there would be no difference in a leak there if the coach was slightly tipped backward or forward.  But, if my current guess (which was formed by watching the rain come off the front of the gutter, travel down over the glass precisely to those two drain holes) isn't right, then I'll examine my lights again.

Thanks for reminding me of that possibility.

Mike

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:30 AM »
Mike, it was dumb luck, if anything.  I just saw the evidence of a past leak.  Never have actually seen moisture since I've owned it.  I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to chase plenty of leaks while I have this beast. 

Mike Groves

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »

Well, lucky you, I've been trying to fix a window leak on that driver's side since I've had the coach. 

I had a similar problem in the same place for the first ~2 yrs after I bought my coach.  The leak would come in somewhere above the driver but it was occasional and we could never find it.  Finally, I decided to replace all the ICC lights on the front cap because I could see cracks.  Magically, the leak went away and hasn't returned.  That was ~2 yrs ago.

Joel,

Then again, with the coach tipping forward, that would allow more roof water to spill over the lights  and when its tipped backwards that would decrease it, so I guess the logic works in either case.

All I know is, I was in Maryland and had first seen the issue in West Virginia (had a rain free trip across country last summer), so I called this "reputable place" near Baltimore, and took it in, and T-storms were expected, so after leaving it, I called them back and asked if they put something over that area of the coach.  As even heavier storms were expected (this is real rain, not like what we get here in Oregon), I drove back out to the place, and as I'd feared they'd done nothing to protect the coach.  Upon entering it however, even though we already had more rain, the fabric beneath the window had dried completely out and I noted that the slope of the coach was to the rear.

So, whatever it is, its not happening with a slope backward - only while sloping forward.   But, you're right, could also be the lights.  I'll take a look on vacation - bringing the ladder and all sort of STUFF since I really can work on it more easily when I am with it on a daily basis.

Thanks for the input Joel,
Mike