Author Topic: U-Line Icemaker Issue  (Read 5653 times)

Dick Simonis

U-Line Icemaker Issue
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
Well, a new issue has arisen.

Now my U-Line ice maker seem to have a problem with a large block of ice forming in the left rear corner of the basket.  It make ice just fine but has, what I would guess, is a leak or ??  near the back of the ice maker assy.  It's taken about a week to make this iceberg so it's not something urgent but still not right either.

I'm going to back off on the cube size adjustment a bit to see if this helps but wonder if there is something else I should be looking at.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: U-Line Icemaker Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:48:28 AM »
  Hi Dick,

Hope you and Pat are enjoying your current adventure. From the discription you gave, the first thing I would check or replace is the water solenoid valve. just as the harvester is completing a cycle it signals the water solenoid valve to open for 3-4 seconds to refill the tray. It is not unusual for some debris usually the minerals like calcium chloride to get caught in the needle and seat just at the end of a cycle. If you cannot find a replacement almost any norcold or dometic refer solenoid can be easily adapted.
     Regards, Fred     P.S. My back operation was a total success, 4 weeks to go. Yippee!
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Fred, thanks for your input on the forum.  More insight makes the load lighter on the guys we all depend on, I hope.

Dick,  there is a cube size adjustment?  Where would that be?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:38:59 PM »
Thanks Fred, I will look into that if the cube size adjustment doesn't work.  Sure glad the back surgery went well and you're in recovery.  How many discs did they fuse?

Kieth, there should be an adjustment behind the while cover.  I'm going to muck about with that today as soon as Pat heads out for the daily "grandson" fix.  I'll let you know how well it works.  We're sitting in Idaho fall for a few days so I have some quiet time for stuff.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »
Dick,
There is one other reason for the iceberg that you described, and that is inadequate ventilation in the cabinet around the U-Line, especially in hot weather. The cooling for the interior of the unit is all located around the tray assembly, and with the hot compressor located just behind the rear of the unit, it can cause a thawing and refreezing in the rear of the bucket. If your icemaker was not producing ice adequately, I would suspect it's fan that cool the coils below it, but since ice production is good, if cube reduction does not work, I would install a muffin fan to ventilate the cabinet enclosure are the unit.

Gerald   

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
Just a followup on this issue.

I finally got around to looking into the cube adjustment.  Pulled the cover and there it was just like the directions said.  It was set right at midpoint so I ran the screw down to about 25% and, after defrosting and removing the iceberg, fired it back up.  So far the cube size is fine and no problems with ice build up.  It looks like the problem has been resolved.

Dick

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
       Me again Dick,

I also forgot to mention this. Remove the lower lourvered grille and vacuum out all the dust bunnies that block the air flow thru the condenser coils. This will shorten cooling cycles. As I recall, It should harvest every 22 minutes when working properly.  Regards to You and Pat.......Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6