Author Topic: Thermostat Upgrade  (Read 13553 times)

Dick Simonis

Re: Thermostat Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »
Steve, I currently struggling with the 30A thing.  I found that you can not turn one breaker off...it appears each breaker provides some necessary power and the high/low switch doesn't do anything that I can figure out.  Right now I'm running the system with the switch set on low and being careful not to let the temp get above 2 degrees from set point.  I also keep the fridge on gas and the aqua hot on diesel only.

I have found the Marquis to be a real AC power hog.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 12:02:13 AM »
Dick,
Good to know someone else is "sharing the pain". I'm going to dig into this when I get home and try to find out why comp #2 gets any AC when on 30 amps. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Thx, Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »
Steve,
You have that ability with your thermostat. Just set the cooling fan selector on low speed using either auto or on position. On low fan speed the unit will only run one compressor. You can also just go to the breaker box in the rear closet and turn off the breaker for the secondary compressor since the fan motors run off of the same breaker as the primary compressor.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 02:50:38 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks!
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »
Dick -  Our Marquis is "a real power hog" too, as you put it.  Many times the generator auto start will activate before we can get set-up when boondocking.... and this is immediately after a couple hour drive, so all the batteries are charged up when we park.  The six-pack of golf cart batteries supply a lot of power, but it seems not enough to run the coach for very long... maybe 45 minutes.

We don't know where all the power is going.  Over the last couple years we have adjusted to it by unplugging the insta-hot and tried to keep other plug-ins at a minimum... like the computers and phone chargers.

What we have finally done to adapt is to defeat the problem as cheaply and effectively as we can.  We purchased a 3,000 watt, 75' remote start, 4.6 gallon fuel tank capacity generator which is kept in the back of the toad.  The Marquis's power cord reaches the generator easily with the toad hooked up in tow.  We can park, hook up and start the remote generator, extract the slides, level the coach, etc. and leave the generator running.  Obviously, when we boondock we park such that the running generator sitting on the tailgate of the Avalanche will not bother other campers.  This generator soon settles down to generate only 20% of its capacity - enough to have power for two TVs and the fridge on 110v.  The 4.6 gallon gasoline tank will run for 20 hours or more if I leave it on.  It's cheaper than paying to stay in a $30 per night RV park.  The downside is every couple days we need to fill our gas cans.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!