Author Topic: Seaward F600 hot water tank 6 gallon in my 1998 Beaver Contessa Viano  (Read 17191 times)

Mike Groves

Re: Seaward F600 hot water tank 6 gallon in my 1998 Beaver Contessa Viano
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:05:21 PM »
If this is the hurricane system, and it appears to be from the picture, then you should use pet friendly anti-freeze.  That's what they recommend, so that just in case something happens to allow the anti-freeze line fluid to mix with your hot water, you don't die before you find out why the water tastes funny. :)

Mike

Corey Osborne

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:46 PM »
great thanks Mike, can you advise which reservoir is which they seem to both have coolant and confirmed it is hurricane system.  So any antifreeze coolant that is pet friendly?  Sorry don't want to contaminate the system.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
Corey,
Your picture was of the pressure tank and recovery reservoir for the Hurricane system. Your hurricane system has a double wall heat exchanger that is designed to use regular automotive ethylene glycol coolant. The Hurricane system will usually self bleed any small quantity of air as it runs if you completely fill the pressure tank (black tank with radiator cap) before start-up and have the recovery tank at the "full hot" mark after it reaches operating temperature.

The term "pet friendly" on automotive antifreeze does not mean that it is nontoxic. It just means that a bittering agent has been added to it so that pets will not drink the normally slightly sweet antifreeze if it spills on the ground. If you want nontoxic coolant to use in your Hurricane or Aqua Hot system, you need to use boiler fluid instead of automotive coolant.

Gerald   

Corey Osborne

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
Thanks Gerald that answered all my questions, much appreciated.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
I think that the tank on the left of the picture is the pressurized tank and the one on the right is the overflow tank; both are for the heating system.  My suggestion for getting the air out of the system would be to remove the cap on the pressure tank and letting the circulating pump run if you know how to do that without putting the heater on.   As the coolant circulates the air should come out and you can top off the tank before putting the cap back on.

If your system is a Hurricane the circulating solution is standard green glycol antifreeze 50/50 with distilled water.  You can buy it premixed, which makes it easier.