Author Topic: Coach Self Maintenance  (Read 10039 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Coach Self Maintenance
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
I am considering doing a large part of the coach maintenance, and was wondering what others are using to block the coach when dumping the air.  My primary concern is safety, but I don't have a great deal of room to store large jack stands, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Coach Self Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
A year or two ago I got a 24,000lb. capacity Craftsman hydraulic bottle jack and a couple 8000lb. jack stands to carry onboard in case I was stuck out where help was limited.  They can be used to brace the entire front of my coach (in theory), or one rear corner can be lifted with the jack and braced with two stands.  But I certainly wouldn't crawl under there with just the bottle jack holding anything since its valve isn't enough security.  The big advantage is that they take up little room in the back of a bay.  Admittedly, I've never actually tried them out on the coach and hopefully won't ever have to.

Although they could be used to help change or repair a tire situation, our tires are so heavy and torqued so high, that its not a task most here would tackle on their own or without proper lug nut equipment, and few if any carry spares anyway.  I got the jacks for emergency air system or other undercoach service.  You have to, of course, make sure to get equipment capable of handling your Patriot, which is heavier at each corner than my Monterey.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-12-ton-hydraulic-jack/p-00950284000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Joel
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:59:35 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
Unless your are working on the air system you might attach your compressor to the air service chuck and keep the air up.  I've seen the techs at BCS do this and I also have taken this approach.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:51:59 PM »
I thought of a different way to block the chassic up and also be able to dump all the air. Last winter I made up 8 - 4 x 8 blocks cut to different lengths to fit 8 places on the coach from the subframe (which is connected to the air suspension) to the main frame. 4 in the rear suspension and 4 in the front. I raise the coach up with the air ride, place the blocks in their places and no worries of it ever coming down. I tested the setup a couple of time by dumping the air off to see just how the coach would settle.
I also reinforced the blocks with through bolts and steel end plates. I carry them with me stacked in the rear basement compartment and already have used them on this trip when changing one of the HWH rear air switches.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  But if you can't air up in the first place...

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Towle

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:01 AM »
Recently used a 12 ton bottle jack to lift ONE front tire off ground to 'fix' and lube a hung-up brake caliper and make sure wheel would rotate freely.  Used heavy 2 X 8 X 24 plank to set bottle jack on and lifted close to axle on air bag I-frame.  Didn't have to crawl under to set or operate so felt fairly safe. 

Don't think I would attempt to lift rear with jacks under any circumstances.  Have had a dealer use beefy wooden ramps made up of stacks of four 2 X 10's bolted together with a stopper block on top.  Two were used on each side to back coach onto and and then a low creeper to scoot under backend.

Wish this coach had frame to ground jacks instead of frame to axle AND/OR had complete manual control.  Then the 4 X 8 posts mentioned before would be a real asset.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:47:45 AM by Frank Towle »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:20 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  But if you can't air up in the first place...

Joel

Joel,

I'm still able to crawl under coach with all the air dumped, don't like to but have done it front is easier once you run the generator out. I don't want to get under the middle of the coach (basement area) even if it is blocked up or on jacks.

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the great comments and suggestions.

Lee,

Would it be possible to post a pic of the 4 x 8's you used for blocking?  And, why the different lengths? 
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »
Mike and group answering post, add my two cents into the thoughts being passed along.
Be real careful in choosing your blocking ( hardwood is the best because it will not crush,
split etc ) Working  on heavy equipment in the field for many years and supporting something
weighting  30 plus tons than working under the machine is sometimes a little unnerving.
It does not matter is it is a motorhome or a piece of heavy equipment, supporting weight
without hardwood blocking is a accident waiting to happen. A person can get 2 X 4 hardwood
blocks from old pallets that are discarded. The bad part of doing all our own repairs is
that we have a 30 year old mind with a 70 year old body and cannot move as fast like we
used to. Cannot again stress safety. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Mandy Canales, Fred Brooks

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:26 AM »
Has anyone found or used ramps to drive up or back on to?  I have a set I used on my cars in my younger days.  Can you even lift them if they are beefy enough to hold up the coach?  Just wondering!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Frank Towle

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:10 AM »
Local RV service center used two stacks of 2" x 8" staggered lengths starting about 5' long, bolted together with a tall angle iron at the end to prevent over-run, and at least 5 planks high for about 7 1/2" in height.  I drove the front end of my coach on to them to provide access to hookup airline for toad brake.  No prob!