Author Topic: Off to Yellowstone  (Read 12843 times)

Adam Hicklin

Off to Yellowstone
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:30 AM »
I'm going to Yellowstone for a couple weeks.  First time.  I have a couple questions:

First, anything I should know about the hwy 20 from I15 to West Yellowstone?  Any potential problems as far as towing?

Second, we'll do all the touristy things, but what are some of the things that you folks are glad you did?  Side trips?  Things off the beaten path? Can't miss?

Thanks in advance.  Hopefully I get everything done before we leave Saturday.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Off to Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »
Highway 20 is just fine... with relatives in Idaho Falls and the Henry's Fork, Henry's Lake, and the Madison drainage nearby, we've been on it many times.

West Yellowstone is kind of a busy tourist trap in summer, but has a decent museum and other things of interest, so allow part of a day to peruse the town.  My wife is a flyfishing widow, and across from the museum is Bob Jacklin's shop, my favorite among several fly shops in town.

Don't miss Hebgen Lake or further West, Quake Lake and its newly completed memorial facility dedicated to those that died in the landslide that created the lake.

I'd be remiss to not mention a particular RV park 8 miles SE of Ashton, ID, off of Hwy 20.  Aspen Acres is a good sized park with large spaces spread over rolling ground, mostly under Aspen groves.  And a golf course runs through it.  If you have a day or two to hang out leisurely in an oasis in farm country, within sight of the Tetons, check out this family-run farm/golf course/RV park.  This is their 50th anniversary in business I believe.  They gave us such a great site and treated us so well for a week or more, that it became #1 on my list of parks to revisit.
http://aspenacresrvpark.com

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »
Keep us posted on your trip Adam. We will be doing the same trip starting the first of August. I can hardly wait. Really looking forward to it. It will be our first trip in the coach to yellowstone. I have been there twice before. I know you will love it. Enjoy your journey and be safe!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »
I guess I should toss in a couple other suggestions along Highway 20, in case you have the time.

Red Rock RV Park on the south side of Henry's Lake isn't a bad spot for a base camp.  Besides a view of Henry's Lake and ready access to its fishing, the park affords day trips up Sawtelle Peak Rd (zig-zag gravel, toad-only), at the top of which is a nearly 360 degree view of some big country.  A large satellite/air traffic/security dome installation is up there, but I still managed to get a complete circle of photos to stitch into a glorious panorama.  There was also a regular "rodeo"/BBQ of sorts just up the street from the RV park, put on by a local ranch I think.  Sandhill Cranes nest across the road from the park and provide local entertainment.  You can also take a day's toad drive up over Red Rock Pass toward Red Rock Lakes, and take in some nice backcountry;  a small creek crosses that road that some consider the headwaters of the Missouri.  RV park staff will gladly supply more info.

Not far south from there, north of Mack's Inn, is the road east to Big Springs, and you don't want to miss that.  The road loops back west to exit near Mack's Inn as I recall.  Further south is Last Chance aka Island Park, the last town of any size before West Yellowstone.  More flyshops there usually get my business and supply me with updated information.  There's a nice RV area at the Northeast end of Island Park Reservoir, and I can't remember whether it is National Forest, State, or County run, but it was pretty large and nice, certainly not crowded and we parked for several days just off the water, with handy docks to walk out on and fish from.  Forest fires were bad that year, and I got some great photos of uniquely colored sunsets across the lake.  This year is ramping up to be another bad fire season, so keep that in mind - you may get into a lot of smoke while travelling the West.

If you stay at either place, or one of the other parks around Last Chance and Mack's Inn, you can take a day in the toad and drive the Highway 87, along Henry's Lake's north shore, up to Highway 287 that fronts the Madison River, and loop east along Quake Lake that way, follow along Hebgen Lake to 191 south into West Yellowstone, then hit 20 west back toward your start;  or take the route in reverse, but the clockwise loop gets you into W. Yellowstone for an afternoon or evening meal at one of the many restaurants and fast food places, or to get groceries to take back to camp.  You could also take a short jaunt west of the 87/287 junction and go south to check out Wade and Cliff Lakes, one of which at least at one time held the Montana State Brown Trout record, and may still.  A cruise Northwest up 287 will garner some super views of the great Madison River Valley - typical Big Sky impressions on your soul (especially if you flyfish :o  ).

Joel

Below are pix of the Willow Creek fire affect at sunset, off a dock at Island Park Reservoir, and from the middle of the Buffalo River looking up Elk Creek, where hatching mayflies reflect the flash of my camera.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:24:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:12:36 AM »
Keep us posted on your trip Adam. We will be doing the same trip starting the first of August. I can hardly wait. Really looking forward to it. It will be our first trip in the coach to yellowstone. I have been there twice before. I know you will love it. Enjoy your journey and be safe!
Dan, where are you staying?  We have a week staying in West Yellowstone starting August 10th.  The last time I was in Yellowstone was 1958.

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:52:06 AM »

We're staying at Grizzly RV for 4 days and then headed to Jackson Hole. Looks like we're just going to miss you.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »
Thanks Joel.  We'll be stay at Grizzly also, but planning day excursions every day.  I'm still a working man so I need to have phone access, but I'm hoping for a little R and R (at least working in beautiful country is better than working in Los Angeles!). I'll definitely hit some of your suggestions and, I'll be trying my hand at fly fishing too.  If that goes well, I'll share.  If it's a disaster, I'll hit you up for some tips.

Others on your way, I'll try to post some of the fun stuff.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »
Very funny, we will be arriving in ysnp Friday , also staying in Grizzly, then we head to Virginian in Jackson after 6 days, then a week there, then to Cody.

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Unfortunatly I too am still not retired and we will only be spending one day in Jackson. Then we will be heading back to Arizona. This "working" thing really messes up my RV lifestyle!!  ;D Oh well only a few more years and I will be able to do it the right way and not have to come back to 110+ heat.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:26:23 AM »
Orman,

I look forward to meeting you.  We"ll be pulling in on Wednesday for 8 days.  I'll show you my freshly rebuilt Webasto!

We're at Zion River Resort now until Tuesday.  Hotter than Hades here.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »
You guys are really making me jealous!  I retire next April and we are leaving almost immediately for the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rushmore and everything in between that we can fit into 4, 5, or 6 months or whatever!  Keep the descriptions of the neat places you visit coming, I want to see them all!
Alaska in 2017, can't wait.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:30 AM »
I've been thinking Alaska in 2017 too....hmm. Not sure if I can get it done but it's on my list near the top. I won't be retired yet...

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 01:37:44 AM »
I'll be researching for the next 18 months.  Hoping next summers trip doesn't break my wallet completely with repairs every time I go somewhere!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 03:09:47 AM »
If you get a chance, spend a day in Cody, WY....50 miles east of the east entrance to YNP. The Buffalo Bill museum is awesome. Go back to YNP via the Chief Joseph Highway out of Cody and you will eventually come to the NE entrance which takes you through the Lamar River Valley, and if you time it just right, you might see thousands of Bison in the plains along the river as you travel west late in the afternoon. The Chief Joseph Hwy intersects with the Bear Tooth Highway which is also a wonderful auto trip...sure don't want to take the Beaver on that road. The NE entrance is about 75 miles from the West entrance and West Yellowstone.

We've been there every summer for the last three. Can't get enough of that place. And then the Tetons are only 70 miles south of YNP. Two summers ago we spent two whole weeks in YNP and 1 week at the Tetons. Still didn't see everthing, but saw a lot and a lot of things we'll never see again.

Have fun!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
Talk about jealous.  I'm 49 years old.  I'm years away from retirement.  I'll just have to keep chipping away at my RV bucket list 2 weeks at a time.