Author Topic: AIR CONDITIONER DELAY IN STARTING  (Read 31390 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: AIR CONDITIONER DELAY IN STARTING
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
            WOW, am I getting an education from all my fellow beaver owners. I had no idea that the Dometic 640315cxx10 would communicate with a 15 year old 4-button t-stat. You guys are pretty creative taking stuff apart and cleaning the top two buttons were most customers start looking for a replacement t-stat.
       This only proves you guys are the best educated and knowledgable I have ever communicated with that own this level of luxury coaches. Kudos to BEAVER owners...........Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 09:19:52 PM »
Fred, with a 16 year old coach you have to be resourceful.  Or you end up broke, not the coach.

Mike Groves

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »
        Question, When you use the aquahot in the barhroom, does the t-stat show zone 3?
                Regards, Fred
Fred,

My zones for the Oasis Combi, are the same as they were for the Hurricane which was standard.  The 4 button has 4 zones indicating by backlit 1, 2, 3 (and I thought 4 but I could be wrong).  Zone 1 is front, Zone 2 is rear, and Zone 3 is the bathroom as far as the Oasis combi heat is concerned.  When ITR installed the combi, in Oct, 2013, they told me they "fixed" the zones so it went 1, 2, 3, from front of the coach to the rear, but I found out my bedroom thermistor was controlling the bathroom when I closed the bedroom door and the bathroom heat never shut off, so while they had changed the wire for the thermostat control, they failed to change over the other wire from the thermistor.  Not knowing what the A/C was doing, as it shows 3 zones independently set for cooling, I just changed the thermistor wires back so that they now matched the control wires.

Anyway what Tom is saying really is not true in my '99 Marquis, because I know that if I set my cool for Zone 3 (bathroom), the rear A/C unit comes on, same for Zone 2, the bedroom.  Unless, its just the fan in the rear unit that comes on, sucking air from the front unit when the bathroom calls for cool.  Is that what you found, Tom? I can check, but I don't think my front unit comes on, if the bathroom calls for A/C.  I'll check next weekend when I go back to storage.

Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
           Hi Mike,

To the best of my recolection of all the manufacturers (country coach, monaco, safari, newmar and Beaver) that were using that system with an aqua hot or hurricane, zone 3 was the most confusing to the owners when the coaches were new. The way they were originally configured was when you toggled the t-stat into zone 3, it would show "cool, fan, furnace, ect" when scrolling thru the mode button. In reality the only thing that functioned was the furnace. Customers would ask why is there nothing happening when I ask for "cooling" in zone 3. I would try and explain that zone 3 is only for heating in the lavy. Well over the years, a lot of technicians and owners have gotten creative trying to figure this out and modified the configuration to get zone 3 to do stuff. I'm not real sure exactly how yours is working, but it sounds like you have control to get the desired result. Hope this helps.
              Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Groves

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
Fred,

Well, I guess I need to see if setting the cool in Zone 3 (lav) controls Zone 2 (bedroom) cool.  If that's true then I don't have to worry about setting both when I want to change 1.  At least you've seemed to confirm that Zone 3 is a standard meaning lavatory for heat as I'd thought somebody just made a mistake in the wiring. 

Next weekend I'll be running the generator for a couple of hours and as I do I'll leave Zones 1 and 2 off, and turn on Zone 3 cool and see what happens, then test each independently.  That will tell me whether Zones 2 and 3 are OR conditions or Zone 2 does nothing at all to turn on the air conditioning.

Thanks,
Mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
My coach has three controllable heating and cooling zones, plus a fourth zone (the basement) that is not readily controllable.  On my coach zone 1 is the living room, zone 2 is the bathroom and zone 3 is the bedroom.  There are two 5-button thermostats, one in the living room for the living room, and one in the bedroom selectable for the zone 2 (bathroom) and zone 3 (bedroom).  Zones 2 and 3 have their own a/c - heat pump, and heating furnace..  The bottom button on the bedroom thermostat is switchable between zones 2 and 3.  The thermostats operate all devices for heating and cooling, except the squirrel cage fan speed for the furnace heating devices located near the floor in all three zones, not to be confused with the overhead fans associated with the a/c-heat pumps.  The thermostats control the a/c - heat pumps and their overhead fan speeds, and the furnace, but will allow only one function to operate at any one time - those being either a/c, heat pumps xor furnace.  That is, if one function is turned on, then the other two functions are automatically off.

When the bedroom thermostat is set to zone 2, for example, I have control of the bathroom a/c-heat pump and the bathroom heating furnace.  When it is selected to zone 3, then I have control of the bedroom a/c - heat pump and the bedroom heating furnace.  Also, the a/cs blow into a common duct that goes from just behind the pilot/co-pilot's  seats all the way back to almost the bedroom wardroom closet.  All three a/cs - heat pumps will push cooled or heated air, respectively, to all three zones.  But most air exits the common duct near the operating device.  At night in hot weather and if I want cooling without the noise in the bedroom, then I turn on the living room xor bathroom a/cs and leave the pocket doors open.  Much of the cooled air makes its way to the bedroom via the common duct.

In summary, I have three zones, each with its own devices, and each zone is selectable from one of two thermostats.  I find it a very simple system to operate.  If you want heat and it's above 35F or so, then turn on the heat pumps, one or two or three of them.  If you want heat and it's below 35F or so, then turn on the furnace heating, either one zone or two zones or three zones.  If you want cooling, then turn on the air conditioning, either one, two or all three air conditioners.  Very simple.

The only issue I have had to deal with is if all three a/cs are on, then two of them are pulling power from a common leg.  If the microwave aor the electric water heating element aor the insta-hot are on, then that heavily used leg will exceed 50 amps of power draw.

"xor" means exclusive/or.  "aor" means inclusive/exclusive or.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 06:02:02 PM »
              Hi David,

Your coach has the Monaco Signature configuration which in my opinion is the most straight forward system engineered at that time. As far as trying to balance the electrical load, it requires management as you have figured out. Monaco put 2 of airs on one leg and the 2500 watt converter/inverter and the other air on the other leg. The rest is a balancing act dependent on usage. Glad you have a grip and all systems work as designed.

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Edward Buker

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
Fred and Tom,

I like the idea of replacing air units and being able to use the same 4/5 button thermostat system, nice option. Originally my roof air covers were not painted to match the coach so I primed, painted, and clear coated the covers to match the coach. To me that is an issue, Tom did the new air units and the old ones have the same cover configuration and do you think one could put the old covers on the new unit? Fred, thought you might know the answer also. My current units are the lower profile Dometic units that were used on most all the coaches. Hate to have to paint new covers, it is time consuming and not my favorite chore.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 09:06:37 PM »
       Hi Ed,

Low profile Duo-therm/Dometic units are called Penguin models an I believe the 2015 units are configured different than the originals. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 12:57:46 AM »
Ed,
The Penguin covers come in white and ivory. I got 2 in ivory for the Contessa and they were actually a tan color that matched the coach much better than the original white covers. Might save you a paint job.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 02:18:25 AM »
Steve and Fred,

Thanks for the info, will see how close the color is if I have to go through this change.....hopefully I will get lucky.

Later Ed

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 03:19:57 AM »
On mine they were painted to match the coach, the new ones are white.  Fine with me, as I had to replace the satellite dome and it was white.  The old covers do not work with the new unit.