Author Topic: Trailer Hitch  (Read 5677 times)

Adam Hicklin

Trailer Hitch
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:21:10 AM »
I'm assuming I have the stock trailer hitch on my Marquis.  Is that rated to 5000 pounds?  I can find no markings anywhere in the hitch.

Gerald Farris

Re: Trailer Hitch
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
Adam,
The Marquis with a Magnum chassis in 98 had a 5,000 pound rated hitch. I am not certain that the Gillig chassis Marquis in 98 used the same hitch, but I think that it did.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:48:11 AM »
Gerald, if I wanted to get a higher rating, would I install something g completely new, or beef up the one that's on there?

Dale Wiest

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »
My 1994 Marquis Le only had a 5000 lb hitch. I am in the process of having a new heavy duty unit custom built which will handle anything I attach to it. The factory one is a piece of crap, welded to bottom of frame and gusseted.
The new unit will bolt to the double frame used on the Gillig chassis and will be very heavy duty. I will post pics as we make progress on this.
Find a reputable welder/ hitch builder and have one built as the factory piece is not worth reinforcing. Better check your CGVWR and make sure you don't exceed this also. Mine will be very close with the 24' enclosed trailer with race car inside and MH loaded with stuff.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:24:34 AM »
Adam,
I had my hitch reinforced and I am happy with the results, but since I do not know how you are going to use your hitch, I can not advise you as to what you should do. If you have access to a good welder/hitch builder, I would discuss the situation with him and follow his advise if you have confidence in his work.

The most common failure point in your hitch (I have seen two fail there) is where the 2 inch receiver tube is just butt welded to the cross tube with only a plate across the bottom.

Gerald   

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:48:06 AM »
Dale, having a fab. welding shop is the best way to go making a heavier tow hitch. Gearld
is correct point of failure is the receiver tube. Fab. Shop can get or order the receiver tube
with thicker wall thickness .250 and build from there. The inside measurement for receiver
opening is 2.062 and a little bead about .062 where tube was welded when made that can
be ground flat with long nose grinder. Second suggestion the hitch pin for the receiver instead
of hole drilled in the tube of .625 would suggest going with a .750 hole. Last make receiver
hitch solid steel and not tubing. We have several hitch failures because not understanding
what hitch is rated for with venders coming in for winter season at Quartzsite, AZ.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic