Author Topic: Silverleaf knob  (Read 5996 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Silverleaf knob
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
My Silverleaf is missing the knob (see pix).  I called Silverleaf support and the knob is $5 (that works for me), but the techie said the actuator is probably broken and a new actuator is $111 plus I need to pull the monitor and send it to them.  That looks like a big PITA.  Right now it is in scan mode and although I would like to use the trip functions and set the clock to the correct time, it is functional for my basic requirements.

Can anyone tell from the pix if the actuator is intact and all I need is the knob?

Larry

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Silverleaf knob
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
Larry,
Haven't had to work on mine yet but it looks like you could grab the shaft with a needle-nose pliers. Then you can push it in and turn it which should tell you if it is just the knob of if the actuator is shot.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:21 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  That's a brilliant idea!

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:23:59 AM »
Don't call Steve brilliant, it will go to his head, then that Black Cowboy Hat will not fit anymore and the only one bigger was probably owned by John Wayne. Not sure they make them in that size anymore since the Duke passed on...

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »
Ed,
It's taken me 35+ years to get that hat in the condition it is today. No way will I get rid of it!  ;D
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
Larry, are you quite sure that is a Silverleaf?  Looks an awful lot like our old intellidrive.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Groves

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
Larry, are you quite sure that is a Silverleaf?  Looks an awful lot like our old intellidrive.
Keith,

It is the original Silverleaf, and is the same as that on my '99 Marquis.  I did get the updated software installed last year (best $95 I ever spent on the coach). 

To Larry, my guess is that by "actuator" they mean what appears to be a ring around the shaft in your picture.  My guess is the shaft is solid and your pliers will allow you to select fields on the display.  Then you'd have to press that ring in (maybe by applying pressure to several points around it to make it go in evenly.  If that works, then I would order the switch and put it on and see if it worked.  But it could be that the ring in your picture is actually part of the switch and has broken off.  In that case you'd have to somehow withdraw that part before pushing the new switch on.  Just my guess.

I can apply a little backward pressure to mine and see if it comes off, but I don't want to pull too hard and have a $111 problem as well.

I do recommend the software update if you can, but I had to show up at their office to get it done.  If they do rallies, then they could do it there as well.  The engineer spent about an hour installing it,  mostly waiting for the data transfer.  He also (unknown to me until I went to drive it again) fixed my ignition switch by rotating it to the normal position which was great too.  He also told me to get my chassis batteries checked because the silverleaf was alarming that value.  So, all in all a good visit - great company as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

It is the original Silverleaf, and is the same as that on my '99 Marquis.  I did get the updated software installed last year (best $95 I ever spent on the coach). 

I'll second Mike's comment about this being a worthwhile update.  I love having six functions (3 of them of my choosing) being on-screen at all times.