Author Topic: New Doorbell Switch Surprise  (Read 3626 times)

Dick Simonis

New Doorbell Switch Surprise
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Last fall our doorbell switch shorted out while the coach was being washed....doorbell just kept going "Ding Dong" until I pulled it out and snipped a wire.  Figured OK, I'll pick one up when I get to BCS.  This morning went in and, yes, they had one but it was $149.00.

Having the doorbell is not worth that much but figure someone else may have had this shock.  Hopefully there are some other options available.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: New Doorbell Switch Surprise
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »
If it has been out a period of time and is dry, I would clean all the contacts, reinstall it and then seal around it if it works properly.  If it is still wet, I would place the switch in some rice until it had time to completely dry then I'd do the above. 
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »
His button switch on a Marquis may be custom or integrated into a handle, Lawrence.

If you can splice the wire back together so all is back as it was, as Roy suggests, Dick, I'd use Lexel everywhere I could to keep water away from the button's bare wire and contact or solder points, and completely around any bell button housing.  The same problem crops up with keyless touch pads;  lexeling the escutcheon and pad itself does the trick.

The company says that Lexel is not conductive, so I've used it to seal off outdoor Xmas light and solar lantern circuit boards, switches, etc.  You just have to be diligent about where you put it and use enough to make a complete seal.  Covering a group of wires coming onto or off a board or a switch, that are closely adjacent to one another but on separate solder points, not only is easy but also helps stabilize them and insulate them from one another.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:37:47 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat