Author Topic: Replacement slideout awning covers  (Read 12299 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Replacement slideout awning covers
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
I'm looking to have all 4 slideout awning covers replaced. Need recommendation of supplier and or supplier/installer.
I am currently in Salem,OR but will be passing through Portland and Eugene before heading back to Northern Calif.

Thanks in advance,

Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Bill Brown

Re: Replacement slideout awning covers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Darrell, 

You might take a look at " Tough tops" .  They are in Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, and offer installation as well as replacement toppers.

http://toughtopawnings.com/

Bill Brown
06 Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV

Larry Williams

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:11:23 AM »
If you are talking about the slide topper awnings and if they are still sound and just pulled loose from the sidewall anchors, you can have them repaired. BCS and RV Outfitters in Bend both have an arangement with a former Beaver employee who will sew the ripped seam and give it more serviceable life. I had my driver's slide topper repaired last summer and will have my passenger side done this summer. The cost is a fraction of a new awning. But you still have your old awning which will not last as long as a new one.

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:13:45 AM »
Check out stonevos.com owned by Chris T he is a Monaco owner and fellow RVer.  Lots of educational material on his website.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
Like Larry, I had BCS remove and send out for repair several of mine that had rotted thread areas, including the main patio awning that had tearing on its sides.  As I recall, they use a more weather and wear resistant thread than factory originals.  It involves some labor hours and wasn't inexpensive, but may be less so than what Toughtopper may cost;  on the other hand, Toughtopper is likely better than original in many ways.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rod Ogle

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
Darrell

I have replaced all our slide out toppers using products from "Tough Top".  This company is located in the Vancouver WA area.  Tyler is the manager, he can be reached at 360 980-0537 or email at typer@toughtopawnings.com.  They have a web site also www.toughtopawnings.com

We are pleased with the product quality and price.  Hope this helps. 

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
 I have talked to Tyler at Tough Top and have seen a sample of the vinyl awning.
I don't know why but they look cheap to me, like something you would find on a travel trailer.
Rod, do you like the Vinyl material better than the acrylic? Do they look nice on the coach?
I may need to drive over to Vancouver and take a closer look.
Has anyone else switched to the Vinyl slide-out covers and are you satisfied?

Thanks,
Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
I think that BCS can now do this job in house, I bet they can save you a few $$ give Ty a call if you have a budget idea. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Rod Ogle

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »
Darrell

You asked which I preferred, the original (sunbrella fabric?) or the vinyl looking material from Tough Top.  Well, our last two coaches had the original material and the stitching in all of them failed along with developing small holes that would need stitching.  Looking not to repeat those issues, I went with the material from Tough Top.  Give me about 10 years, then I can make a better comparison.

As far as appearance, the slide out covers are not exposed much, not like your patio awning. So if they look cheap, you can't really see much of them . Cleaning the Tough Top is easier, I never could get the dirt and grit out of the original material.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 12:14:04 AM »
Carefree, and I assume others', awnings are known for rotted thread problems.  Ours started within a couple years of ownership.  That's why I and others mentioned that BCS can resew your existing ones better than factory.  And they can nicely mend any tears.  Reputable boat upholstery/canopy shops can do the same, also using stronger, heavier, rot-resistant thread.

-Joel
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:15:39 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:56:21 AM »
Thanks Joel, I think mine have deteriorated too far for repair. I have several holes and tears.
Last year I flipped the front passenger awning topper as the stitching had pulled loose and began to tear.
I was able to get one more year but it is starting to tear again now.

Thanks Rod - Do you have Omega II awnings with the awning cover as well as the slide topper?
How does the Tough Top material look when lowered as an awning? 3 of my 4 slide toppers also function as an awnings.

Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Rod Ogle

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »
Darrell

Yes, we have the Omega II covers.  BTW, Tough Top gave me a choice of adding the ruffle at the bottom or not, I chose to have them added, as the original covers had them.   Make sure that you get your extended measurements correct or the ruffle at the bottom may or may not unfold properly...please do not ask how I know.  ;D

To me the Tough Top slide out covers look fine, but beauty is for sure in the eye of the beholder!!   

Again, I do not have a long term report for you so the Tough Top might not measure up, but so far so good. 

Bruce Rust

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
I just replaced the large awning cover on my beaver... Ordered sumbrella material for 13 and change a yard..
. cut it to size and  took it to a shop and they sewed it for 40 bucks and I just got it put back on today...I furnished thread from sumbrella which is used on sailboats ...it is UV protected and should last a long time
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley