Author Topic: Internet TV Streaming Options?  (Read 15046 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: Internet TV Streaming Options?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
....Just curious what is provided at each Pacific Shores site for internet and if you are relying on wifi and how is it working out? .....
Pacific Shores has a free, park wide wi-fi system.  It has worked well for me in the winter when few are here.  Even then, it only seems to work well in the early morning.  The July 4 weekend has the park full and I've not had any luck with it at all.  My theory is that the system quickly overloads from smartphones that have defaults set to use available wi-fi to save data costs.  It would probably work well if people only used it for computer email and web browsing. 

Each Pacific Shores site has a power pole with a cable connection for Charter.  You can buy TV in internet.  When I checked prices last year, it made no sense because rules on suspension of service were too limited.  If I lived here, it would make sense. 

Even for TV, Charter is difficult.  Last year they switched to "digital" and it only works with a converter box.  Renters have to check one out at the office.  Owners can keep one.  It feeds the TV with an HDMI.

Last year, we "cut the cable".  Actually, it was DirecTV.  The only TV we watch is broadcast or "Over the Air".  We have a Channel Master DVR+ that works just like the DirecTV DVR for recording networks.  Sometimes we bring it with us. 

Our primary internet connection on the road is a Verizon WiFi hot-spot gizmo.  Data is not cheap, but it is reliable.  With no other TV, satellite or cable fees, I think it is justifiable.   

Mike Groves

Re: Internet TV Streaming Options?
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
Ed,

All your points are well taken. 

For us, we've decided that given our current not retired yet lifestyle where only 2-3 weeks of time can be spent out, that we'd just purchase the lot at Pacific Shores, get our own dedicated hi-speed connection (charter cable services the resort at 60Mbps) on our lot, then simply use the on demand and live tv go of Comcast while were there.  It's sort of our vacation home on the coast. 

I know that had 5.1 surround with Dish but no real movie channels to use it with, so I researched Slingbox, for example, and it appears from what I've read that in most cases you can only use the cable inputs from your home box (not quite sure I understand why).  With those audio cables there is no 5.1, only stereo.  Has anyone used slingbox and connected it using its HDMI input from your TV box?

So, we, having had the Dish as you do and very aware of its usefulness at most campgrounds (but then again, trees can be an issue and have been lately at Thousand Trail Resorts), just decided we'd visit a single campground, our own, more often now.  When we're not there, the hi-speed adds to our renters' experience since some are making great use of the internet for entertainment as we now are.

Thanks for all inputs! 

Mike