Author Topic: Chassis power cut out  (Read 6351 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Chassis power cut out
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
Just driving down the road and chaise power cut out, dash dead trans control dead no engine power Rolled a little further maybe 3-4 seconds all came back to life. Allison transmission in neutral. Shifted to D and motored along.  Happened again down the road apiece but was able to get home. Otherwise runs fine. Any  Ideas on how, what  or where to start?

Thanks Jim

2005 40 ft Monterey, Cat c9   
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Chassis power cut out
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
Hi, there has been a Bullentin with key switch and intermittent power loss to the ECM. If you have
A silver leaf should give you a code. Basic what is happening ( depending what you have connected
to your key ring .) Thinking if there is a lot weight hanging on the key problem could start at key
switch .  Can you give me your email address, I can send you the information related the problem
With your C-9 engine.  Dave Atherton retired Cat mechanic.

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »
We had the same thing happen several times.  My husband replace the starter and solenoid and it has never happened again.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:47:57 AM »
Jim,

It is possible, if you have a solenoid at the bottom of two copper busses in the electrical bay, that the solenoid is intermittently loosing contact. Basically it would be like turning off the ignition when this solenoid does not make and maintain good contact. They are prone to fail. When you turn the key on it powers this solenoid to close contacts.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Jim Edwards, will send you info later today on your shut down problem. As I indicated there is a
Bullentin on C-9 key switch, going deeper into the information coming off the ECM. Cable connection
J-1 which is the cable connection to the right looking at the ECM from the side view. Connections
to the J-1 harness batterie connections plus & minus,, key switch, batteries plus 9 ground switch inputs. Looking around the electrical and batteries and key switch. Will lookup the color of the wires
coming off the J-1 pig tail harness which should help you trace problem later today. This is the
OEM Harness that has other wires going different directions also.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
Yes Ed, that is exactly what happened to us. The Solenoid failed.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
Jim,
There is probably a 95% chance that you need to replace the ignition solenoid in the LF electrical bay that Ed referred to. It has such a high failure rate that I carry an extra on with me in the coach. Only use a replacement that is rated for least 85 amp continuous duty service.

Gerald

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »
Sorry my husband informed me that it was the ignition switch and solenoid.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis