Author Topic: Bathroom fan motor humming  (Read 2330 times)

Jason Worman

Bathroom fan motor humming
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Good mornig,

So a couple of days ago, we left the bathroom fan running in the wind and the vent cover broke off. We turned the fan off and the arm lowered had it shut off. The fan switch still glowed orange in either the on or off position and hummed. Okay I thought I will order replacement cover and should go back to normal. The replacement cover came yesterday, simple job to replace, turned on the fan, arm extended out put vent cover on and closed. At first worked as usual. But now fan is back to motor humming while closed and fan switch glows orange whether it's in the on/off position. The fan raises and lowers just fine and turns on/off as normal. Any thoughts? It's a Fan-tastic fan model 4000. I ordered the vent cover from etrailer.com, it was listed as a direct replacement part. Thanks

Mike Shumack

Re: Bathroom fan motor humming
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
The part diagram shows a "closed" and "opened" contact switch used - could the "closed" switch be out of adjustment causing fan to be staying in the On position?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
Jason,
It sounds like the plunger switch that cuts off the fan when it is closed is not functioning. Either it is not making proper contact with the fan cover, or it is shorted.

P.S. Fantastic Fan covers have a lifetime warranty, so if you call them they will send you a new one for freight charges only.

Gerald

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
Do you know contact phone number for them? Could not find any info on the web

Thanks

Jason Worman

Re: Bathroom fan motor humming-Uodate
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:05 PM »
So I closed the fan down, and turned knob on the fan to off and turned the switch on the wall to off and the fan went quiet, no humming and wall switch was dark. I came back an hour later and the fan was humming and the switch had its faint glow in the off position. Any thoughts?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
Jason,
The phone # for Fantastic Fan division of Dometic is 800-544-4881.

Have you checked the continuity for the plunger switch that I mentioned in the earlier post. If there is no continuity through it, you probably have a bad circuit board in your fan, and if so, you would probably be better off to just purchase an up-grade kit and add features like a thermostat and rain sensor or remote control.

Gerald

Jason Worman

Re: Bathroom fan motor humming-Fixed
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »
Thanks everyone- I took the new cover off and compared it to the other cover. I found that where the shut-off black button was there was nothing in the new cover to depress that button. I bought a 1.00 water noodle, cut out small piece of the dense foam and glued in the gap. Now it depresses the button completely. This forum is amazing!! Worth the price of admission. :)