Author Topic: Satellite Dish  (Read 7916 times)

Edward Buker

Satellite Dish
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »
Does anyone still have a Datron 3000 working with Dish network? Mine worked last summer. I fired it up on a trip today and it does not seem to find a satellite signal. I have a plan to change this out but it was not in this years work.

Next question, has anyone had any luck reworking the existing Datron wire harness and coax to use with a Wineguard Traveler for Dish network? If not how did you route the wiring and where on the roof did you choose to mount the Traveler? My configuration is for a 2002 Marquis but anything close would be of interest. The other option would be a portable, comments on the portable option.

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Satellite Dish
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
Ed
Most of your questions are beyond my scope.  One thing I might help with is the satelite signal.
We have dish net. and I know that if I leave our reciever in the motorhome for more than a couple months it will be out of date.  It is then nesessary to bring the reciever in the house and hook it up.  I allow it to up date the software and programming and for some reason it will then find the signal after putting it back in the MH.
Hope this helps a little
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »
Thanks Keith, that is a help. I may be able to try that when we get to our summer destination and have some friends around with dish.

I know this is outdated technology and would still be interested in what options others have installed.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
We replaced our Datron with a Tracvision in motion and the installer used new coax but it was the same specicattion so your old coax would probably work. The data cable and old style receiver are no longer required with the modern systems just the coax hook up. Our back up is the Vue Cube http://www.rverscorner.com/Vu_Qube.html and we are pleased with, it as you can set it on the roof or ground and it gets its power from the coax also so it is one hook up. We use direct TV but both are compatable with Dish.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:49:43 PM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Richard and Babs,

Thanks for the insight. I have been considering a portable option but was a little concerned about theft in the night. Nice to have both options, had not considered that approach.

Ed

Mike.Way

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
My TracVision failed last week as I was replacing a DirecTV DVR.  Could not find replacement locally; it failed on Sunday and we were to leave on Thursday.  A discussion (now suspect) with a Camping World parts guy was interesting.  His statement that TracVision was not a viable choice, due to new policies on their equipment infuenced my choice to purchase a Winegard "MiniMax".  Smaller, with a different type of dish in the dome; supposedly identical to the VUE unit.

The install was messy.  It required power and ground plus a coax.  I put the new unit on the same spot as the old, but ran the three wires forward and brought them into the compartment above the windshield.  It acquires quickly but sounds like a coffee grinder.  To use with Dish, some dip switches need to be reset under the dome.  It will pick up 2 satellites, but not DirecTV HD.  If I had more time I might have gone with a replacement TracVision or a Motosat dome unit; the cost is very similar.  Pickings are slim, good luck.

Mike

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
FYI - IF NOT BEING ABLE TO watching TV while moving, the Wineguard TRAVELER ANTENNA is what the Bend Beaver Tech recommended when I purchased my new Beaver.  There seems to less problems with their operation than the "dome" types.
I have the setup for DirectTV.  If the unit is not used for several months then the the receiver signal has to be refreshed.  I normally do this by going online and can select the receiver to have the signal re-sent.  Usually that takes care of the issue, if not then I call DirectTV and have them resend the signal.  DirectTV makes periodic updates to their receivers and if the antenna is not "up" or locked on to a signal then those updates are not done.