Author Topic: Datron Antenna to Receiver Wiring  (Read 6214 times)

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
Datron Antenna to Receiver Wiring
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
I am trying to install a old Datron automatic antenna for Direct TV.  I have the antenna and both a RCA and a Sony receiver.
What I am missing are the two control data cables. The one from the antenna itself to the controller and the one from the controller to the receiver.  I am also missing the power supply for the Datron antenna controller.

Unfortunately, when the installers put on new systems, the cables usually get cut and pitched along with everything else.

Does anyone have these or know of a parts source anymore?
Does anyone have the actual cable schematics so I could make them?

I have all the original manuals but the wiring diagrams are not included.

Larry and Grace Fritz
98 Beaver Patriot, 37' Ticonderoga
Adams, NE 68301
larryfritz@att.net
Larry Fritz

Edward Buker

Re: Datron Antenna to Receiver Wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
Larry,

I have that system but at the moment I am not able to get it to lock onto any satellites. Still trying given it worked when I put the unit undercover last fall. My manual shows just a two plug power connector using 14 GA wire and a switch with a 5amp fuse in series, RG6 Coax for RF, and indicates a serial communications optional line from the antenna to a laptop. I think they use the same cable to the reciver for our installtion. I am thinking that a standard serial port cable wiring to a computer might do. The Sony Receiver manual may show how the output port is to be wired. My guess is that it is a standard serial cable protocol given that these companies did not want to have to make custom cables if something could be bought off the shelf. The web link at the bottom is for a standard 9 pin serial port wiring diagram. Because computers were tied to these units for updates and programming they must have used standard wiring. I do not know how many of these connections need to be made to make it function. If you remove the cover of the Sony and look at the port wiring and if for example it uses only 4 wires on 4 pins you can look at the function of that pin on the serial interface cable to get an idea of what signal it is providing. The main signal line will probably be shielded and use pin 5 for ground. The antenna, if it has a shielded pair then you would know how to cable those two by matching to the reciver port wiring. That is the best info I have. I would play with it on a table outdoors and see if you can get it to work. These are out dated units that I'm not sure is worth the effort but sometimes it is the challenge and the satisfaction. Hope this helps....Later Ed
http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/pinout-and-signal.htm

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »
I have the Datron system on my coach, and I will probably be removing it at the Harrisburg or Redmond rally to install a HD antenna if you want to see how it is hocked up or if you want some of the parts.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:19:58 AM »
I have an RCA receiver and noticed in the receiver manual that the data port uses what looks like a phone or more likely an ethernet cable plug with the small tab that locks it in place. Not sure which given our unit is installed in an upper cabinet with a fixed plexiglass panel in place. I have not had a reason to take this cabinetry apart yet so I cannot be sure what is used for a cable. If the dish has an ethernet type plug arrangement and so does the receiver I would try a standard ethernet cable.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
It uses a phone cable.

Gerald