Author Topic: Computer plugin for diesel diagnostic  (Read 8272 times)

Rod Tomlinson

Computer plugin for diesel diagnostic
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:13:33 AM »
1996 36' Beaver Monterey. 300 hp Cat diesel. I need to have my diesel checked out. While driving the 500 mile trip home, after purchasing the motorhome, the engine, on at least 10 occasions, stalled while driving at 55-60 mph on the highway. Within 10-20 seconds later the engine would kick in and go for 10-20-100 miles before it happened again. The mechanic on the phone said he would bring out his mobile diagnostic equipment and plug it into the electrical connector located under the dash. I looked and couldn't find one. Is there one for this year motorhome?? If so, where is it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:07:03 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Computer plugin for diesel diagnostic
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 02:15:50 AM »
Rod,
Before spending a lot of $ on it, suggest you replace the ignition solenoid. It should be located in the electrical bay and be hooked to the battery and ignition copper bus bars. The  symptoms you describe are what an intermittent faulty solenoid would cause. They are available at almost any auto parts store.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 04:09:55 AM »
Rod, just answered about location of  computer plug in port but having trouble going through for
Some reason. Let's try this again. Right side rear ( last door ) close to fuel filter and little to the right.
This is a 6 pin connector. Steve is correct about electrical problem. In case it is not, I can help you.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:19 AM »
Dave,

Replaced the solenoid and had the mechanics friend use the computer on the diagnostic cable. He said the code said the injection activator pressure sensor has to be replaced. Also said this could be causing the problem of reducing power at 50-60 mph and after slowing down to 30-40 starting up again. Happens a few times and hour and than not for several hours. I wrote down the number 1WM02805. I googled this but can't find anything. What do you think the part and labor should be? Is it necessary to use the computer again after it is replaced.?

Thanks for your help.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:02:11 AM »
Do you have a code number that was pulled up.  The IAP sensor is very easy to check if bad.
Yes I will pull up the part Nimber for you. Question did you change out sensor ? And or did he
check the IAP sensor to make sure it failed?  Will get back within the next hour with your info.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:48:38 AM »
Ron, here is information your tech should have pulled off his code reader. 164-00 excessive
injection actuation pressure, out of range ( 3480 psi while engine is running ),  164-11 ECM detected
difference between actual and desired injection actuation pressure. Engine will start easy when
engine is cold but will start hard when at operating temp and will run rough. Did tech disconnect IAP
sensor from harness than start engine ? If so how did engine run. ?  The IAP Sensor cost around
$ 134.00 takes about 15 minutes to install once you can see top of engine. Note as I stated earlier
The code or codes present here are called event codes. This is what will be present if IAP sensor
Is bad. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
Dave,

He never started the engine. He only turned on the ignition, told me number 1WMo2805 or 1WM02805. Is this a part number for the 3126 Cat??

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
No this not the part number, in fact the number is a s/n number for a Cat 3126 A model of which you 
have but has two number relate to a 3126 A model. Do not want to alarm you but the way you are
relaying info., I question what went on. with not starting engine. This Sensor is a pressure sensor
direct off the high pressure oil line from HEUI pump that will give pressure or event code  with engine
running. Installing a 10,000 psi pressure gauge into the oil rail where sensor is located. To start
engine pressure needed is 870 psi after start and 3,500 - 4,500 to run. Going back to the event codes
number again 164-00 ( engine runs rough, low power), 164-03 IAP open circuit, run rough, low
power, 164-04 IAP  short circuit runs rough, low power, 164-11 Injection Actuation pressure, LOW
POWER, ENGINE SHUT DOWN.  Part Number 167-1709. Keep going back on your engine running,
does it run rough after warm up. Did mechanic look at engine from inside your motorhome and
Location in question IAP Sensor connection pig tail etc.  I'm asking lots of question, but above info.
If related to your problem as mechanic stated. Last answer to your question if problem has been
repaired with install new sensor no you do not need to reinstall a computer again if sensor was the
problem. Everyone does things different but a trained Cat tech will follow a set floor mat for troubleshooting and this is different approach from your mechanic.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
Thank You