Author Topic: Kenwood to Silver Leaf Change  (Read 9315 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Kenwood to Silver Leaf Change
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
All,

Because of the problem with my Kenwood, I am considering adding a silver leaf laptop engine instrumentation package to the coach.
Wanted to ask how those who have made the change like the silver leaf?  Any recommendations or things to beware of would be appreciated.

Additionally, does anyone know where the ECM plug is located on my coach (coach information in my signature)?   I will need to plug the Silver leaf into the ECM plug.

Thanks in advance!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Kenwood to Silver Leaf Change
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
Michael, your engine diagonostic's plug should be as you set in driver seat, to left of steering column,
just under the dash. There will be a plastic round either gray or black. One thing before you buy anything,
Remove the plastic cover on the connector ( reason there may be a 6 pin connector or a 9 pin connector.
That will depend on S/N of engine.) Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:19:56 AM »
Michael,

I had to change out my Silverleaf factory unit due to a failing display and moved to a computer version on a tablet that I mounted to the right of the dash area. I was able to use the cord that plugged into my factory unit to interface to the new computer modular unit that fed the tablet via USB cable.

I think the main issue is to exactly understand what you have now for an install. What cables do you have now? Is the Kenwood just a display or does it play a bigger role? If it is just a display, what unit do you have now interpreting the engine data and sending it to the display? Would you have to eliminate that unit to go to the computer type USB output modular unit? Once you have that info, I would call Silverleaf, have some photos of what you have installed now including the plugs and cables that you currently have so they can be sent to them. They have great customer interface and service and it is good to let them lead the way as to what your options are.

Since I installed the computer version I have used it several months on the road and logged over 3000 miles without trouble. So far it is a winner for me. Here is my install which included adding a 7 inch Garmin to fill the Silverleaf space. Audio on most laptops and tablets may be inadequate while driving so in the link is how I handled the audio using the Alpine unit.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4100.msg31495.html#msg31495

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:18:09 AM by Edward Buker »

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
Hi Ed and Dave,

Thank you both the the thoughtful reply. 

Dave,I could not locate the ECM plug under the dash (left side of driver) to date.  Will continue to search, but could it be inside the shroud that surrounds the column?

Ed,
I will evaluate what I currently have because I would prefer to go to a computer or tablet versus another display device if I have the capability.  I will update my post with new information on how it works out.

Thanks again!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
When I had the transmission reprogrammed for the infamous "Jake Brake" issue, I found the round plug under the removable dash plate.  This removable dash plate is located on top of the dash and in front of the steering wheel.  It is held down by Velcro and is about one foot plus square.  Use a dull blade like a butter knife or even a spoon handle to gently lift the plate starting at one corner.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:42:44 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:19 AM »
David,

The connector was exactly where you said and I don't know why I didn't look there.....????

It is a six pin connector but it seems as though only four of the pins are being used.

Thank you!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
Mike
              Keep in mind the "Nextbook" for a 2 in 1 computer. It will work as a tablet with touchscreen and is or was $179.00 at Walmart. Also when you call Silverleaf, Art is the go to guy, I just talked to him yesterday. Good luck on your venture and if you need any advice or help setting up, feel free to call me at any time.

Larry Dedrick
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
Mike,

I second Larry's input, Art is the go to guy.

I know they were working on an Ipad version if I remember right and you may want to see where they are with that. Ipad mini or full size would be a nice option, has Bluetooth input, very nice display and not too expensive.

I think the install is problematic with a laptop or something that might be too thick like a convertible. You really have no need for a keyboard with this application other than to touch a few times on the screen once in awhile. The Ipad will take a small folding Bluetooth keyboard input if you wanted to use that once in awhile. Just need it while initially building your screens not so much when you are using it.

West Marine carries a universal Ram mount that is very adjustable and holds the weight of a tablet very steady. I screwed this into the right side of the dash so that the tablet faces the driver at the dash level. Made a wood tablet rest that is screwed in place to the ram mount. Some small Velcro stick ons keeps it all in place. The dual ball arrangement for adjusting works great.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ram-mounts--universal-electronics-mount--319147

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:53:24 PM by Edward Buker »

Dan Murphy

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »
Hey Larry
when you talked to Art did you discuss going back to a USB connection?? I am still losing my connection all the time.

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
Larry, Ed;

Have not done anything on the conversion to date, but plan to start researching next week.
My first call will be to the "Go to guy, Art!"

Appreciate all the technical assistance and guidance.

Travel safe!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:09:23 PM »
Dan
          Art is sending me with a new jib, still a wifi connection, that supposedly will cure this problem. I should have my hands on it when I get to Indiana. By the time we get to Branson, I should have some operational time on this jib and I will let you know how well it functions. If it does not function correctly, I will be going to the USB Jib.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:13:45 PM »
Dan
           What version is your Jib you received in Madison?

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15