Author Topic: Slide out topper wind noise  (Read 5825 times)

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Slide out topper wind noise
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Recently we found a simple  solution to stopping the wind noise on our large slide topper. We used an expansion rod between the coach and the slide topper roller and secured the rod to the topper fabric with 3 inch squeeze clamps. I hope this helps someone. I have tried to attach a photo but my smart phone picture attachment will not go through because the file is to large. Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the file on a smartphone?
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Slide out topper wind noise
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
The flapping is annoying for sure, Bryan.  I usually just bring in the windward slides when it gets really bad.  I've often considered what you did as a cure, but #1 I'm too lazy to go out at night when a wind comes up and place the contraptions, and #2 I worry I'd forget about them when breaking camp and try to draw in the slides, breaking something or stressing a motor or pump.  You can buy deflappers at Camping World, etc., but they rely on having side arms on awnings to clamp to, so you'd still have to get the expansion rod. 

I've also thought about tying 5 lb rocks to either end of a rope and just tossing them over the top so the rope eliminates the slack that flaps.  But I'd probably smack the side of the coach with a rock somewhere along the line.  Or I'd forget as above noted, and drive off with several rocks hanging from entrapped ropes atop the slideout awnings, and banging against the side of the coach or something.  Of course none of that would really happen cuz I routinely do a final walkaround before leaving camp.  However, if I was emotionally devastated by having to leave a particularly wonderful location, and had tears blocking my vision, I might conceivably miss the rocks  -Grin ;) .

That aside, you didn't mention what smartphone you're using.  If it was so smart, it would know what you were trying to do and automatically downsize the image, right?  We wish.  Admittedly I have not actually done this, so take the following under that advisement:  on my wife's Samsung S5, you go to the 3 dots icon in upper right of the picture in question after bringing it up onscreen from the Gallery (albums of photos) app.  That's the Menu button, and pressing it brings (theoretically) down a menu from which you can select "Edit".  In the lower left then will be an "Adjustment" icon with a picture of a wrench.  Clicking that should pop up 3 choices - Rotate, Crop, and Resize.  Select "Resize" and take it from there;  you may have to experiment.  I think most phones are similar in that you have to get the photo onscreen and then get to the Edit function, and then find the feature for downsizing the resolution, preferrably without cropping it to death in the same move.

Alternatively you should be able to pull up the Settings screen for the Camera, and there choose a lesser resolution setting before taking any picture intended for emailing or for here.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:44:22 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
Joel thanks to you and your wife's imput on how to reduce a file size on my smart phone.
You are also right on about the concern of leaving the slide topper brace on while retracting the slide. My only solution to this is to now leave myself two notes on the dash one for the removal of the slide topper and one for the satellite to take down. Yes I did drive 40 miles with our satellite extended. Life is always an adventure on the on the road.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
We made some reminders out of slap bracelets.  I put them on the steering wheel so its hard to ignore them when it is time to leave.  My sister embroidered and then sewed them to slip on to the bracelets.  Here are a couple pictures.  I ordered the bracelets on amazon.

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
Bob thanks for another good idea.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present