Author Topic: No power to Curtain switch or tv antenna booster  (Read 4372 times)

Gary Wolfer

No power to Curtain switch or tv antenna booster
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:25:30 PM »
The power windshield curtain has been dragging for a while so I assume the motor needs rebuilt. Last night when I tried to close it , it went out about two feet til it turned and started across the windshield when It just quit and would not go forward or reverse. This is on my 1998 Patriot. I know these are problematic but I pulled the panel apart that contains a double post three way switch. I am not sure if it is 12v or 110 but could not get a test light to come on. I used a coax ground connection for the tv antenna and the probe on all the wires behind the switch and nothing lit up. The light for the antenna booster does not light up when the switch is thrown either. I cannot find any fuses related to the antenna booster or the curtain. Must be a fuse blown somewhere. I looked in the 12v panel next to the 120 panel in the bedroom and looked under the hood but saw no fuses there. I saw nothing related to the antenna booster or the curtain motor in the power panel ajasent to the driver seat under the outside door. I am not good with electrical problems and barely know how to use a multimeter. I could use some coaching. The wires that go to the back of the curtain switch have two large pink wires tied together and two white wires tied together on posts in the center of the switch then the wires hat go to the motor are like phone wires that are tied to each other on the ends I assume they are to go forward and reverse. You cannot see the double white wires but they are just across from the pink plug in the center of the switch.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:27:09 PM by Gary Wolfer »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: No power to Curtain switch or tv antenna booster
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »
Gary,
You should find 12v on the large red wires that attach to the center posts of the curtain switch. Suggest that you not use coax shield for ground. Run a wire from a ground under the dash instead. I usually hook to the steering column bolts.
The TV boost power comes through a 15A fuse. It should be located in the bedroom closet breaker/fuse panel. It should be Circuit 12, labeled "Start Boost and TV Power Feed." I suspect it also feeds the curtain motor.
BTW, a plastic rod is a lot simpler, faster, and cheaper than messing with the motor. Replacement cost was north of $300 when I checked.
Steve
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »
Problem solved
Thanks Steve It was on the same fuse circuit. The fuse did not look burnt but I replaced it with #13 and flipped the switch on the tv amp and the light came on then pushed the switch on the curtain and it ran. I will not pay 300 dollars for a new motor but know a few shops that can rewind motors or replace brushes. I have also found motors at Graingers in the past. It looks like it may be hard to get the motor away from the curtain rod when it is froze up though.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
Gary you might give Mike Humble a call he just pulled his curtains to install MCD shades. He may have a motor
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
Most of the SMC era windshield drape motors have numerous plastic parts including the housing on some model that makes them unrepairable because the problem is usually disintegration of the plastic parts.

Gerald