Author Topic: Roof Air Conditioner Condensation drain  (Read 4897 times)

Dan n Lisa Lund

Roof Air Conditioner Condensation drain
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:46:21 AM »
Hello friends,
I have a question about the roof air condensation drain. Is the roof air condensation suppose to run off the roof and into the rain gutter? Or is there a drain line that is suppose to handle the water draining from the AC units? Mine is draining into the rain gutters and then running down the side of the coach making a mess.

Thanks,
Dan

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Roof Air Conditioner Condensation drain
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:01:49 AM »
Dan, I believe our '06 Monterey has drain lines, and would think your Marquis would also. At least as I recall, water drips underneath the coach when the AC's run, and I think I once determined that the fridge's drain forks into a tube on its way down from the roof through the rear fridge access. Your coach may have them, but they could be plugged.  I would expect roof debris could block the port end up at the AC.  You may want to go up, remove the housing, and check around the roof tray to see if that's the case.  Watch out for mud wasps that like to build nests under the housing though;  I take a can of mint oil-based wasp killer with me when up there - it's relatively safe.

Others more familiar with your specific coach may know for certain if you have drain lines or not, but in the meantime you could go check things out anyway.  Just watch your footing of course.  I would expect to use a #2 screwdriver up there on screws around the perimeter of the housing, but can't remember for sure.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:11:42 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:41:20 AM »
Dan:  My 06 Marquis a/cs drain to the ground.  The front one drains center of the coach on drivers side, the rear drains on top of the tail pipe passanger side. If you have a small shop vac you could try to vac out the drain tubes from the bottom. Sounds
like they are plugged.

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
I'm not sure I'd vacuum from the bottom, Bobby.  That might just draw in more debris from the top and make things harder to clear.  If anything, I'd vacuum from the source end - the top port.  But he may just have old leaves, maple seeds, (dead wasps  :o ), etc. across its mouth, and a quick sweep of the fingers will do the trick.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:58:32 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:15:03 AM »
Joel that would probably the safest way, check up top first.

Bobby
2006 Marquis

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:02 AM »
Thanks guys! I had assumed that there would be drain lines but I have not opened anything up to investigate as of yet. Now I am anxious to get up there and check it out. Maybe next weekend I can get it done.

Thanks again,
Dan