Author Topic: 2005 Beaver- Sometimes engine won't start???  (Read 7195 times)

Raymond Bonter

2005 Beaver- Sometimes engine won't start???
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:59 AM »
Hi Fellow Beaver Lovers.. I love my 05 Beaver Marquis 525 C13 Cat however.. four times from September last year to now.. all in mild weather.. my engine won't fire! Each separate time I turned key.. waited until engine light went out.. turned key further to start and lots of fast revolutions but no fire.
1. Tried to start several times.. called Cat Mech.. plugged in decoder.. no codes.. then it started. 
2. Tried to start several times.. called Emerg Mech .. plugged in decoder.. no codes.. then it started. 
3. Tried to start several times.. waited a while.. Was on phone w/ Sam's Club.. tried again..it started.
4. Tried to start several times.. waited a while.. Was on phone w/ Sam's Club.. tried again..it started.
Have used the coach lots in between with no problems but above four events it was temperamental.
Looked in Elec Bay.. see Start Relay.. see Cellanoid.. think maybe I should replace both.. but then I thought I would run this by you all for comment.
Thx Raymond
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:18:31 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: 2005 BEAVER- SOMETIMES ENGINE WON'T START???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:02:35 AM »
What is your engine S/N number with that I can help you with your problem.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: 2005 BEAVER- SOMETIMES ENGINE WON'T START???
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:41 AM »
Raymond, possible key switch problem as per Bullentin ( no power between key switch and ECM
But engine will turn over with starter. Second, there is a check valve in your fuel filter base that
is giving problems. Turns engine over and hard to start ( no smoke ) let set will startup and runs
rough at first.  Easy to get at to check. Pertains all C-13 engines S/N groups.

Edward Buker

Re: 2005 Beaver- Sometimes engine won't start???
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
Raymond,

If it always turns and cranks well then it is not likely the solenoid in the electrical bay. That symptom would be no cranking or the engine shuts off while running, although changing that solenoid is a good idea anyway.

One thought (I always go for what is inexpensive first) would be to change your fuel filters and pay attention to the seating surfaces, they should be clean. Also if you have the prefilter pump unit with the vertical screen in a plastic bowl, be sure that there is no diesel seepage through the O ring seals used to seal the plastic body and no cracks in the plastic, it should all be dry. These are a problem area when the plastic ages or orings do not seal. Not sure what was used for a fuel prefilter arrangement in 2005.

Because this seems to happen after the coach has been sitting I was wondering if you might be getting an air leak at one of the filter seals that causes a fuel issue with some amount of air involved at start up. There could also be a filter that may be plugging up. This may be a more complex issue but filters are relatively easy to rule out....

Later Ed

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:21:18 AM »
Raymond, received your email and passed it to Gerald Farris. Again on your problem the Cat
Dealer repaired your problem correct. There are options with flash ECM and what they have
applied event code light will come on but engine will not derate. In long hill climbs having
engine derate going up the mt. Can bring on problems. Sounds like you have a faulty sensor
Making light on dash coming on. Just having motorhome at Peterson Cat before they flashed
ECM would have picked up on faulty sensor. This operation is called ECM Flash 32 ( which means
options for engine warning lights but no loss of power ). Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Raymond Bonter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
Hi Guys! Thanks so much for your replies. Engine Serial # is KCB01441. CAT has much experience with this.. said lower hard-to-get-at fuel filter likely gulping air through bad seating then fuel cools and jells.. quick fix press fuel circulating pump button in battery bay for min 30 sec.. booked to go in tomorrow for filter replacement and re-seating and further trouble shooting.. in looking around they found unrelated matter of crack above too securely fastened bot flange of plastic coolant tank.. they will replace tank and affix flexible connection.. much of what was said in BAC response related.. thx again.. Raymond

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »
We found problem your problem with check valve under the fuel filter and Cat confirmed that
was the problem also. This is what makes the Beaver group working on the forum as a team
helping members having problems such a good organization.  Glad we could be of help.

Raymond Bonter

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
Hello everyone- Well... went to Peterson CAT in Eugene and this is what they said in our report back from them.

CAT REPAIR PROCESS COMENTS:
PUT A FUEL SIGHT GLASS BETWEEN THE FUEL TRANSFER PUMP AND THE FUEL WATER SEPARATOR. THAT'S WHEN THE AIR WAS DISCOVERED IN THE SYSTEM. THEN BYPASSED THE FILTER ENTIRELY TO TEST IF IT WAS THE FILTER BESE OR FILTER OR LINES COMING FROM THE FUEL TANK. AFTER PERFORMING THIS TEST IT WAS FOUND THAT THE FILTER WAS THE CAUSE. THEREFORE WE REPLACED THE FILTER WITH A NEW ONE. RECONNECTED ALL THE LINES WHERE THEY WERE NEEDED TO BE AND STARTED THE MOTORHOME AND WATCHED FOR BUBBLES. NO BUBBLES WERE FOUND IN THE SYSTEM AFTER THIS.TOOK OUT THE SIGHT GLASS AND RECONNECTED THE ORIGINAL FUEL LINE. TEST RAN MOTORHOME ONE LAST TIME. AIR IN THE FUEL PROBLEM FIXED AT THIS TIME.

Well so far so good but time will tell.....will keep you posted!!
Thanks again everyone for all your help!!
Raymond
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley