Author Topic: 2005 Beaver Monterey check engine light  (Read 10864 times)

Gerald Farris

2005 Beaver Monterey check engine light
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »
Tic Wilson sent the statement below to post on the forum.

2005 Beaver Monterey with Cat engine.  I looked for the serial number, but evidently don't know where to find it.  Model # ?  9DG02150.
I have been getting yellow check engine lights intermittently.  The flash code is 25.  I took the coach into Peterson Cat in Redmond, they said the software was down two levels, so flashed the ECM with the latest software for the engine.
The problem continues.  Yellow check light flashes for a short time then goes out.  This has happened while under load crossing mountain passes, while coming down steep grades while using the engine brake, and on the flat and level while cruising at 55mph.  Usually occurs after about an hour of driving.  We seldom travel more than two hours a day.
I am currently parked in Portland, OR for the next week.  Appreciate any guidance. 

Tic Wilson

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 2005 Beaver Monterey check engine light
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:45:24 PM »
The serial number plate is near the rear of the engine on the left side of the cylinder block.  Tic's is a C9, and 9DG02150 should be his engine serial number (my '06 Monty is 9DG07336 for example).

Code 25 is an "Inlet Air Pressure Sensor Circuit Fault" and could result in low power according to the CAT engine book.  Not sure why Petersen Redmond didn't check that out, but they have a facility on Columbia Blvd.
http://www.petersoncat.com/about-us/portland

Could it be he has a clogged air filter or obstructed air passage, or is this possibly electrical at the sensor or a bad ground, etc. in the sending circuit?

-Joel
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:56:14 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tic Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »
I was aware of what the flash code 25 was from reading my CAT book.  The CAT serviceman said that the software update related to that flash code.  If I understood Dave Atherton correctly, the software update prevents a derate.  When this check lite has come on, it flashes, it is not on for more than 10 seconds.  I have not lost power.  All needles are in the green.  The service rep showed me how to take a snapshot and I have done so.  The next time I get into a dealer, the snapshot can be examined.
The air filter was replaced just before Quartzsite, and the indicator for airflow does not indicate that it is near replacement time.
Perhaps it is the sensor, the source of the problem may have to worsen before it is identified correctly. 
Dave Atherton said Jim Nichols was having a similar issue.  I have been busy and have not talked to Jim yet.

Al Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
I was getting the red stop engine light only at full power on my Cummins. Changed both fuel filters and have not seen it since.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
Last year we had the same problem while in North Dakota. The Cat service technician at Butler Cat in Bismark hooked his laptop to the plug and it showed the check engine light had come on intermittently 208 times. He tested a sensor that operated by how many ohms went through it, and found the sensor was bad, so it was giving a false positive. We had the sensor changed and had no more problems the rest of the summer, a 7000 mile journey. Cost with labor, $113.00.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Tic Wilson

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 04:34:07 AM »
Stan, you said you had the same problem,  code 25?  Do you know which sensor? Thanks

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
Tic,

I never saw a code each time the light came on, and wouldn't know how to retrieve it. It would come and go just as you described. I will call Butler Cat and get the part # of the sensor and put it here.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Tic Wilson

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
FYI for the future. 
1. You are parked
2. Key on
3. cruise control off
4. Hold set OR resume until yellow check light starts to flash
5. Count the flashes
There may be four different two digit codes (mine was two flashes short pause, then five flashes, repeats.)
a code of 55 says NO fault codes recorded.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »
Tic,

The part was a boost sensor, CAT part #161 1704. Hope this helps.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Tic Wilson

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 06:11:31 AM »
Thanks Stan,  That would correspond to inlet air pressure sensor and is what a code 25 points at.  Appreciate your checking.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
Tic Wilson , the 161-1704 was the same part we put on Jim Nickels C-9 ( boost Sensor )
back in May.  There is 3 update sensors for this engine C-9 engine . Starts with 161-1703
Atmosphere pressure sensor, 161-1704 boost pressure sensor, 161-1705 fuel pressure
sensor. The sensors are part of a group of 5 volt sensors, within this group of sensors the
Atmosphere pressure sensor and the boost sensor are the most common to replace.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic