Author Topic: Fuel filler tube problem  (Read 18667 times)

Adam Hicklin

Fuel filler tube problem
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:57 AM »
On this most recent trip I have been having a problem getting fuel down the filler neck in to the tank. It almost immediately fills the tube and gurgles out the top, even putting the slightest amount in.  At first I thought maybe it was a volume problem at the truck pumps, but today I used a standard pump and it took me 30 minutes to get 25 gallons in.  It has never been able to take the full volume truck pump but I could always use the truck pumps at about 50% with no problem. Anyone have any idea what might be happening?  I've only tried with the tank 1/2 full or above, never below 1/2.  Same result the last 3 stops. 

Roy C Tyler

Re: Fuel filler tube problem
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:15:28 AM »
I have to hold the nozzle on as it will kick off if I put it on the first notch of the handle.  I do use Pacific Pride and CFN exclusively because of convenience so I am always using truck pumps but a half tank will take about 20 or 30 minutes on either side on mine.  Maybe it is because of the cost of diesel going down because the dollar amount changing was limiting the speed of the pump when the price was so high...lol.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:21:01 AM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:03 AM »
Chuck,

Up until a week ago I could get a truck pump on the first click and leave it.  It would move along pretty fast.  Now I'm holding it just as it comes on and I have to watch and listen for the tube to fill up, hopefully release the handle before it comes spewing out the opening, at witch I'm about 50% successful.  Tremendously frustrating.  Heaven forbid I need to fill the tank.  It would take the better part of the day.  Most frustrating is I have no idea what changed.  One fill up it was fine, next it went wacky.

Thanks for your insight. 

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »
Sounds like maybe the vent tube is plugged.  I don't recommend it, because it could be a real mess but until you get it fixed, you might loosen the cap on the other side to vent the tank.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Not sure opening the opposing cap will work.  Others here know better than I, but I think at least some rigs have fill tubes in the form of a "Y", so tank air can't escape when the common pipe is taking fuel.  Regardless, the issue does seem symptomatic of a plugged, bent, or pinched vent tube.  Age, heat, and oil may even have caused it to collapse at a weak point;  our old Pace Arrow had that problem.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I have found that if I can get the nozzle pointed towards the rear of the coach, then the fuel seems to "slide" down the tube at a faster rate.  Two near right-angle turns in the filling tube don't allow for a fast flow in the first place.  But if you can point the curved nozzle as much as possible towards the rear of the coach, then you are tending to bypass much of the first right angle.  The problems have been 1> having to hold the nozzle in that rear pointing attitude for the entire fill, and 2> many times the fill nozzle cannot be opened enough to engage the lowest flow setting on the nozzle's auto-fill catch.  I have tried opening the fuel fill cap on the other side, but I worry that will make a mess out of my sight.  I have also tried tipping the coach over a bit away from the fill side.  That seems to help the flow rate a little too.  But combining the "tipping the coach" with opening the fuel cap on the far side makes me even more nervous about making a mess, especially when the tank is getting full.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
I've tried the nozzle in every conceivable position, same result. I only have 1 filler point on the passenger side, so no option to open the other port. Any idea where the vent tube runs on a Marquis?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
Gentleman I can relate to the above problem and with out turning the motorhome on it side to fill tank it was a 45 minute or longer tying up the fuel bay. Going deeper in problem,Monaco fuel opening
to tank was welded along side about inch down from top of tank. The fuel hose has a dip in hose
before fuel can enter tank. Another motorhome beaver 2005 same setup with wye connection about
12 inches before fuel line connects to tank along with a 2 inch dip in hose before entering tank.
looking at this 05 Beaver the vent for his tank is very small. It is a big project to drop down fuel tank
(using this 05 beaver) because it is over the steer axle and no room to get at connections so you
can slide off steer axle to ground. Reason we had the fuel tank dropped down was air leak in fuel
line top of tank. we could see the tank vent but could not reach it and we're getting over our heads
so we just addressed the air leak. Dave Atherton retired Cat Mechanic

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
My Contessa is the same way. Spend a while filling the tank. The semi's come in and leave and I'm still standing there slowly filling up. Guess it's the way it is and have to suck it up so to speak!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
Adam,
Since you did not say if you have a Gillig or a Magnum chassis, I will assume that it is a Magnum, and if so you must have a properly functioning vent check valve for the tank to take fuel at a fairly slow though reasonable rate. Removing the cap on the other side will not vent the tank since the filler necks enter the tank at about the 1/3 full level. Remove and clean or replace the vent check vale if the vent hose is good. If that does not repair your issue, and the coach fills much better from on side that it does the other, the rubber part of the filler neck needs to be replaced because the inner liner has probably come loose causing a restriction.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
I have had several safaris and beaver coaches and feel for you. Thank the lord my 06 Marquis has a 2in pipe that goes straight into the tank in about 6-8 inches. I can run the big nozles wide open..nice.

Bobby
2006 Marquis

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »
My Magnum chassis Patriot Thunder won't let me put the pump on the lowest detent but I sure can pump at ~10 gals/minute.  So a typical 60 gallon fill-up takes me ~6 minutes.  Not as fast as the 25 gals/min the truck pumps are capable of, but not excessively long, either.  I've timed it multiple times and that pumping rate is very consistent with the right side being slightly faster than the left.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:25:15 AM »
Thanks guys.  Seems I'm not the only one with at least some variation of this problem.

Gerald, it's a Magnum chassis but I only have one filler port on the passenger side, just aft of the front whee, above the belt linel.  I got under there today.  There is what looks like 1.5-2inch curved metal pipe about 8 inches long. This is the filler body and cap.  It's connected to possibly a 2 inch rubber hose that goes down to the tank connection on the side, top of the tank, about in the middle.  There is a small 1 inch hose, which I'm guessing is the vent, that runs up to the filler body, next to the filler pipe and connects to something that I can't see.  The other end runs down, through the frame rail, to the tank connection which I can't see.  Where would the check valve be?  The filler tube has a slight dip, but it doesn't seem so severe as to cause this problem.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
        Hi Adam

Not real sure on your configuration but a lot of manufacturers ran the vent hose back up to the filler neck just below where the recessed housing mounts. Remove the cap and look for an opening inside the neck with a flash light. Over time this vent hose may sag and create a "P-Trap" effect between the tank and the filler neck. If while filling at some occasion that occured, It creates a check valve effect and will not vent anymore. The best fix is to replace the vent hose but if that is not easy at least inspect and remove any low spots by re-routing if you can. I have had luck putting an air nozzle with a tube into the filler neck down into the vent opening and gently blow out diesel fuel that may be trapped in a low spot. If it blows back at you that means a restriction somewhere in the vent system. Absolutely no fun fueling for a half hour!
        Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
Let me chime in here.  I have a 03’ Contessa with fuel ports on both sides.  We have had this RV for 8 years and I have always had a problem when trying to get the tank full. 
I have fashioned a wooden wedge that I have covered with rubber so it will not slip and use it to hold the pump valve open at a lower setting than the lowest notch on the pump handle.  This does not make the process faster but I don’t have to stand there holding the nozzle on.  This still allows the nozzle to turn off when the fuel comes up the filler tube.
What Gerald said about the location of the fuel filler hose into the tanks describes what I have (approx. 1/3 of the way down from the top of the tank).  Interestingly enough in these 8 years I have never noticed the location of the vents inside the filler tube as described by Fred. 
I found a pc of aquarium hose and applied compressed air and the diesel fuel rises up from the filler hose on both sides.  I am not a plumber but to me that would indicate the vents are clear.  Since my tank is now essentially full it came up the hose quite fast.
The few times I have added fuel when the tank was low in fuel (perhaps ¼ full) I was able to use the lowest setting on the high pressure pumps but only for a short time until the fuel rises above the entrance level into the tank and then it shuts down and I resort to the wedge system.
I find it much easier to fill up at FJ’s that have RV islands or Sams Clubs where the nozzles are not the high pressure ones at the truck stops.  I have had truckers who were behind me in the que and waiting for me to finish that yell and honk for me to get out of their way because of the time it takes me to fill with the high pressure nozzle.
Thanks to Fred for his suggestion on how to test the vents for blockage.

Paul