Author Topic: Fuel filler tube problem  (Read 18665 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel filler tube problem
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 09:24:22 PM »
On the single filler neck coaches, almost all of them run the vent hose to the top of the filler neck and do not use a vent check valve in the tank vent system. However, on the dual filler neck coaches most of them run the small hose at the filler neck to the other filler neck and run a vent hose from the top of the tank with a check valve in it, usually at the end, to prevent fuel spills from the vent.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
I'm not sure this totally relates, but our old gas coach would have problems especially after filling up and hitting the asphalt on hot days.  If the fuel came from cool underground tanks into the warm coach tank, then we drove out onto hot pavement for a short trip and then parked, we could get a strong gas smell.  The small vent line followed the fill tube up to the fill port, and into the metal neck just below the cap.  If you used a non-venting cap that would be a problem, and Fleetwood issued a cap recall at least once that I remember on the thing.

The vent tube was rubber and could fail with age, as could the large fill tube.  On one occasion I found a large sag in the vent, and it had liquid gas in it.  I repaired the tube by splicing new fuel line in (I couldn't access the tank's top, but the old line was good up to the sag) and rerouting the straps they'd used to hold the tube up.  I also added larger hose over things to ameliorate both hoses rubbing on frame members, a preventive fix often used for our Beaver coolant system hoses.

So if you find a dip in your vent line, it could have expanded fuel blocking it if nothing else.  One time I found an oily substance on our concrete pad, and upon examination there was the same stuff on frame members behind the genset.  Noting a narrow tube coming forward from above, I assumed it was the main tank's fuel vent and where the leakage emanated.  Turned out that tube may very well be my fuel vent, but the slow dripping gunk wasn't diesel;  it was from a tech not making sure the genset's filter was snugged up after its initial oil change.  Travel had thrown genset oil back and up.  That's probably not relevant here, except to note where a fuel vent may be on some rigs.  I certainly appreciate Gerald's and Fred's experienced input.

I would add that at Pacific Pride (Pioneer Fuel) outlets I go to, there is usually at least one low speed pump because they cater to all commercial entities, not just big trucks;  company vans and pickups and small church vehicles do business there.  Since there is rarely anyone else or perhaps one other vehicle there, I never feel rushed, don't have to use the high speed pumps if I don't want to, and never hold anyone else up.  It is totally the opposite of the chaos I inevitably encounter at the dreaded Flying J.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:54:23 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 04:47:33 AM »
I'm home now.  I'll be able to inspect it more closely.  Maybe post some pictures for clarification.  Thanks Fred and Gerald for the direction.

Today I pulled in to Love's to try to top off for the trip home.  It was early so I hoped there wouldn't be the chaos at the truck pumps that Joel and everyone else has experienced.  I was doing good until a guy with a pick up and 5th wheel pulled in behind.  No big deal I thought.  I asked my wife to tell the guy I might be a while and it might be quicker if he backed up and tried another lane. I didn't see that behind the 5th wheel he also had a 20ft boat.  He couldn't back up!  The good news for me and bad news for him is that it ONLY took about 30 minutes to get 50 gallons..
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Happy 4th y'all!  You guys have got me thinking as usual, which has led me to crawling around under the coach in the RV Park we are camped at.  My wife thinks I'm crazy.  They are all at the pool and I'm under the coach looking for fuel filler pipes!  Anyway, I have fillers on both sides of the coach.  The hose that goes to the tank on the Stbd side enters it about 18 inches or so up from the bottom.  No kinks on that side and no vent anywhere that I can see.  The port side is about the same but I can't see it very well because of the way my tires are turned.  I guess my question is, just what are some other vent location options?  Ideas??  Thanks.
Jerry
PS I can usually fill at a reasonable rate if I turn the nozzle just right at a reg. gas station type pump.  High speed pumps are a complete pain.  Both sides are the same.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:15:51 PM by Jerry Emert »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
           Hi Jerry,

What a Great Country the Lord has blessed us with, hope it stays that way! I have only had my coach 10 months and still in a serious learning curve. I guess i'm one of the lucky owners when it comes to fueling. I remove both fuel caps and can normally put the pump on the slow fill clicker and wait. It does slow down towards the end when I try to top off. Most tank manufacturers want that 10 percent air space in the top of the tank but not real sure why. Perhaps for the roll over safety vent? When your done hope you enjoy the pool.

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Al Lewis

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
My 2002 Monterey has the same problem. I concluded the vent hose had low spots that acted as p traps. I did my best to eliminate the low spots. Now the best I can do is fill on drivers side, carefully position the nozzle,set truck nozzle on first notch. About 20 minutes for 60 gallons. At least the truckers are not honking at me. I wish they had put the filler tube in the top of the tank rather than down closer to the bottom.