Author Topic: 2002 Beaver Contessa front slide won't retract  (Read 7355 times)

Merlin Clausen

2002 Beaver Contessa front slide won't retract
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
I have a 2002 Beaver Contessa and the front slide won't retract.
When I push the button I can clearly hear a clicking noise, but nothing happens.
Any ideas? I've check everything I can find I'm out of ideas.
It's hydrolic and I cannot crank it
in by hand. It seems to bind against the hydrolic ram.
 If that's my only options, by hand, anyone have a good way to do that?

Gerald Farris

Re: 2002 Beaver Contessa front slide won't retract
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:43 AM »
Merlin,
If you want to know how to manually retract the slide, you have to vent (loosen the line and catch the oil that drains out) the inboard side of the slide cylinder and then the slide will retract with a wrench on the equalizer shaft or by 3 or 4 men pushing it in. However, it will not stay in to travel unless it is blocked in place. Therefore, the preferable solution is to repair the slide so that it will retract.

To advise you on repairing your slide, I will need more information. Where does the click that you referred come from? Does the hydraulic motor run when you push the slide switch? Is the hydraulic reservoir full? If the clicking is coming from the hydraulic slide motor area and the motor does not run, does the slide motor solenoid have 12 volts on both large post when the switch is depressed?

Gerald

Merlin Clausen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:49:17 AM »
Thank for your reply. I'm new to the motor home world so bear with me as I try to explain  :) The clicking is coming from what I think is the solenoid on the pump. It clicks and the pump doesn't run. Could I have a bad solenoid? Can it be by passed easily?
I've attached a picture for reference.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:30 AM »
That's a pretty corroded solenoid, Merlin.  The device is likely getting relay power but the big contacts inside may be frozen open.  If you can get a meter on the large posts of it, you may find that not both posts are hot when power at the switch is applied.  It's not an expensive solenoid and should be available at an auto parts store, if you can find one open. 

I suppose one could jumper the two large posts, but there may be some sparking, and you'd have to remove the jump just as soon as the pump motor stresses after the slide is in.  Regardless, if there is no power at the outlet side of the solenoid when the switch is applied, you'll need a new one.

But as Gerald alluded to, I'd first make sure the problem isn't low fluid in the hydraulic reservoir, a common problem.  Make certain the coach has adequate blocking under it if you have to crawl underneath to work.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:32:58 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Merlin Clausen

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:00:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Fortunately, the coach is in the driveway so getting under it is pretty easy. I'll check the fluid and check the voltage. Hopefully it's just a bad solenoid. My son is 6'7" and he's been crawling under doing the work. It's hard for him go get at the solenoid or check the fluid level. Any advice? Also, as I've never worked on something like this before, where do I check the fluid? Also, wouldn't I hear the pump wining if it was low on fluid? Just wondering.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 05:46:46 AM »
Merlin,
Low fluid level should not stop the pump from running. So from your description you either have a bad solenoid, a bad connection (power or ground), or a bad pump motor. To determine the problem, you just need to take a meter and trace the circuit to determine where the open is located.

Jumping the solenoid is possible if the solenoid is bad (caution it will be high amperage and sparks), but it is safer to just fix the problem so that it works properly instead of having to get under the coach every time that you need to move the slide and jumping the solenoid.

Gerald 

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
             Hi Merlin,

Welcome to the adventure! I agree with Gerald and Joel, and believe you are close to finding the issue. I have replaced at least 5 or 6 of those solenoids over the years. The reservoir is close by, a black tank about 6" in diameter and about 10 -12" long. It has a chrome or black knob on top with a dip stick attached. CAUTION, please keep in mind, if the room is extended, a portion of the fluid is NOT in the reservoir but in the cylinders that extended the room. If you were to refill reservoir and finally get the room retracted you will have an over flow mess on you hands. The system is a closed hydralic system. Unless you see a red hydralic puddle somewhere it is not likely you are low on fluid however you may not know if the former owner had an issue.
       Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 03:42:51 PM »
Did the 2002 Contessa have a removable step to get to the pump like the Marquis does? If it does, this job of replacing the solenoid can be done from the top of the pump reservoir assembly. If you are not getting 12V through from one of the large leads to the other when it clicks then you would need to change it. Cole Hersee brand in a continuous duty rated solenoid would be a good choice. Disconnecting the 12V power by battery switch or battery terminal lead and confirming the that the main 12V solenoid terminal does not have 12V would be wise...

Later Ed

Merlin Clausen

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »
Thank you Joel and Gerald. I  I think we have found the problem, being the solenoid. I think i i can get it going monday
thanks again Merlin

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
As cautioned previously, be sure to put blocking under the coach whenever crawling underneath, and I'd shut off the battery mains and unplug before messing with the solenoid.  You don't want sparks flying in your son's face under there.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat