Author Topic: Cat C12 ATC Dash Light  (Read 10642 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Cat C12 ATC Dash Light
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:26 AM »
All,

After starting the engine this morning, I noticed the ATC light was on.  We did travel through some pretty wet weather yesterday and thought maybe a sensor was going bad.  I tapped on the brake as we started out this morning and the light went out.  On the next engine start for the day, the same thing happened?

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments!

Thanks in advance!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Roy C Tyler

Re: Cat C12 ATC Dash Light
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »
Mine does exactly the same thing.  I just tap the brake and it goes out. I usually just tap it as the air is building up.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »
What is the ATC light indicate?
Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »
I found this in the Monaco Owners Club forum:  (Actually, it was the "irv2" question and answer forum, I guess.)

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/abs-and-atc-light-220446.html

"Yup, Automatic Traction Control, ATC.

"The long story --- about 300 miles after taking on what ended up to be a bad tank of fuel in the Yukon, out of my peripheral vision I saw what I thought was my ATC light just blink on VERY briefly. Didn't give it another thought until many miles later it did it again. And then many miles later again and again and again. Then after some 700 or 800 miles when climbing a fairly steep grade I felt a slight hesitation along with the ATC light flickering on.

"Well to cut the story shorter, it got worse and worse and worse until I had finally had enough when it was so difficult to manage some the rolling hills in California on the 101 without having the engine buck and hesitate.

"If I manually downshifted to say 3rd gear it would go away but as soon as it up-shifted to a higher gear it would buck and hesitate plus the ATC light would come on at the same time.

"Finally at a rest stop for the night just outside of Paso Robles I Google the symptoms. Lo and behold another Monaco owner had gone through the same symptoms two years previous and their solution was to change the fuel filters. BTW, that night my Aqua-Hot stopped working too. So the next day I went to the local truck shop and had two new fuel filters installed along with a new Aqua-Hot fuel filter.

"Problem GONE. So now I always carry an extra set of fuel filters in case it ever happens again.

"You can have new filters installed one day and stop the next day to take on a tank of fuel which turns out to be bad and BINGO, new filters clogged and shot."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:28:53 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:22:46 PM »
Thank you David, I saw a similar post when I googled ATC, but couldn't see how tapping the brakes affected a fuel issue.  And it didn't indicate what ATC meant.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
ATC light
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 08:31:46 PM »
Jerry, I guess I'm kinda confused with the above post from David. If you have a light on dash ATC
Which means automatic traction control it operates off the Mentor Wabco ABS setup location at
the rear axle. One thing I do know it would not have anything to do with the fuel system. ( the ABS
& ATC operate off electrical and air system and signal to activate is off the wheel sensors on
rear axle. If you like I can copy page from manual on ABS & ATC systems and email to you.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Dave,

I agree as I don't see how the fuel and ATC are related, but strange things do happen.

BTW, since this does not seem right, I will probably have it checked during the annual maintenance / safety checks.

Thanks for sharing.
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
Thanks Dave but it just got my attention because I didn't know what ATC meant.  Google got me to the fuel filter issue which just further confused me.  Not a big deal, you guys that actually know what this stuff is will figure it out.  I try to sit back and learn just in case.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »
Just reading through the owners manual and discovered that the ATC light is supposed to turn on when the ignition key is turned on.
AND, it is supposed to stay on until the first brake application.
(Section 10, Chassis Information)
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
Mike, glad you found the info on the ATC and explained real how it works. Nice part about
these questions on the forum, there are many different experiences and ideas from club members
helping members with different problems that guides them in solving problems.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »
       Well said Dave and we all really appreciate you!
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6