Author Topic: Aqua Hot Burner Not Igniting  (Read 6750 times)

Dick Simonis

Aqua Hot Burner Not Igniting
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »
OK, new issue.

Fired up the Aqua Hot this morning and it kept stopping.  Each time I would reset it by tuning the burner switch off than back on.  It would run for a bit than stop again.  Feeling the exhaust suggests that the burner is not igniting.

An suggestion on where to look first???  This model does not have a control panel so, to my knowledge there is no way to look for fault indication.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick

Edward Buker

Re: Aqua Hot Burner Not Igniting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Dick,

You may want to pull the coil and electrodes and test the ignition coil/inverter circuit by pulsing it 100 times with any 12V source. It should ignite each time. Also check the flame sensor resistance and that it is clean, then the nozzle is a possibility and if in there would change that anyway. Ormond is the real expert...

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
Dick,
If your AH hasn't been PM'ed (fuel filter, burner nozzle, electrode alignment, etc) in past couple of years, may be a good time to do it since you'll be in to the unit anyway.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »
Thanks Ed but the problem took a turn for the worse.....it seems I don't have heat from the electric element either.  Wonder is there is a common denominator to both functions.

All was well last night and this morning nada.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Dick how much fuel do you have onboard? I have had this problem if at 1/4 full level of fuel.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:14 PM »
Dick,

I cannot think of any, there are a couple of 120V temperature sensing button type contactor devices in series with the heating element that are run straight from the 120V breaker. The burner is all a 12V system. One button thermostat kicks the element on and off at temperature and the other opens if the unit reaches an over-temp condition. There are some small plates near the burner on the boiler face where you get access by removing the plates. There is probably an equal chance this is a button thermostat or wire fail as there is that it is a bad heating element. The manual that can be downloaded shows these part locations and some trouble shooting in the breakdown.

The button thermostats are not hard to change, the element could be difficult plus you have to drain the boiler down to below the element. You could see if you have 120V across the heating element with the boiler at less than roughly 170 degrees. If no voltage it is one of the button devices or a wire. If voltage is present and there is no current change, of about 10 amps, on one of the legs of your monitor panel with the breaker being switched on and off then it is an open heating element. You can confirm that with a resistance measurement when you remove the wires from the element. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:57:08 PM by Edward Buker »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:08 AM »
Thanks guys.

Turns out I have two Aquastat failures.  The AC high limit and the control one for the diesel.  For the short term I've jumpered the high limit and will turn it off/on with the breaker for safety.  This is the 2nd failure of this part in 6 months which is a concern.

Tomorrow I'll order some new Aquatats.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:22:07 AM »
Dick
Check the coolant level, Check at the radiator cap, NOT the coolant bottle

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
Thanks Omar, water level is fine, it was just the two Aquastats.

Electric is heating OK with the hi limit bypassed and the control aquastat does it's thing but i still shut off the breaker once I have hot water.  Ordered the parts this morning for overnight delivery.