Author Topic: New 2006 Beaver Monterey owner seeking several answers - HELP!  (Read 7919 times)

Tom Patton

OK, not that desperate, but help or ideas is greatly appreciated:

1) The ceiling and roof have a slight sag over the middle of the front driver-side slide.  Noticed mostly because the wood trim keeps popping-off, but it also seems soft on top where the water pools.  Being a newbie, I have no idea how to even inspect as I don't want to start ripping at the ceiling trim as I can't even find a video on how trim snaps in and out.  My guess is an aluminum weld has broken up there, but I can't see to inspect without pulling back a little ceiling.  Can anyone describe or link me to an appropriate video that can show me how to access just under the ceiling trim/headliner? (see pic)

2) Kitchen (passenger/front) slide retracts just fine.  But, I park the coach for two days, and the bottom of the slide slips back out about an inch while parked.  Happening consistently after parking just a day or two.  The slide just extends about one inch with coach power turned on or off. (see pic)

3) I have a white CB antenna (standard??) that looks like it hit a tree or overpass...top 8 inches were taped together with duct tape.  Antenna cable feeds to compartment next to driver seat.  I plugged-in my cb and get good weather broadcast signal, but my range is less than a half-mile with the cb.  To replace the antenna, does anyone know what brand I am replacing?  Also, will I be able to feed the new cable up the side wall?  Does a new antenna connect by screwing-in at the antenna base with no need to pull a new antenna wire? (see pic)

4) When I am storing the coach for a week or more...should I let the air out of the air suspension bags or leave them inflated?

I apologize even for just making this post...but I retire in 6 months and am trying to do this myself (and learn).  I realize there are camps/sessions where I will learn this when I get on the road...but I'm not traveling much yet...that opportunity comes when I retire and have more camp friends...but today these items are frustrating me.

PS...I have entirely gutted 3 homes in my life...what a new experience RV's are.  From screws, wiring, structure, and multitude of features...it appears the TV is the only thing I inherently know about the coach.  At least the engine is familiar to me!  :)

Thanks for any help...hope to meet many of you next year!

Tom (in Central Florida with a great lakefront house for sale so I can retire)...see it at:
www.floridalakefronthouseforsale.com

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: New 2006 Beaver Monterey owner seeking several answers - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:26:06 AM »
       Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Family and the Adventure. #2 question, the slide room is controlled by a system made by HWH. The pump and solenoids I believe are under the front cap forward of the step well. The hydralic pump and solenoids control the room direction. What you are experiencing is the solenoid that activates when the hydralic pump is extending the room has an issue with the valve seat that maintains pressure on the hydralic cylinders once the room is extended. The pressure is bleeding off and allowing the the room to partially retract. If it is not the solenoid at fault then look for a leaking hydralic hose in the system.

Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Tom Patton

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:41:43 AM »
Thanks Fred...I will look into that.  How do you like the Honda as your tow?  we are considering same CRV.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:14:24 AM »
            Tom,  I believe it is one of the most popular "Toads" out there. Once connected to your coach and plugged in all that is required is to start the car, shift thru all the gears, and leave in neutral for 3 minutes, then turn the key off to #1 (make sure park brake is off) The only draw back is if towed more than 8 hours the car battery is drained and may not start. After I got tired of pulling the recommended fuse #4? , I ran a charge line from the coach chassis battery thru the tow harness to the car battery thru a fuse. Works great!
                  Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »
        Tom, sorry I did not read post question #2 correctly. If the the room is retracted and then creeps out, the solenoid that is activated when retracting the room is the issue. With the pass room extended, you can unplug each solenoid one at a time until you find the one responsible for making the room retract. Remove the cap on the hydralic reservoir and there should be a molded socket on the end. This socket fits on the end of the solenoid nut on the end. Turn the nut counter clockwise 3 turns to release the hydralic pressure on the slide room. Replace the solenoid. Someone on the forum may share where to purchase. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »
Every so often our slide does that, and I've posted about it here before.  Whether it's temporary debris fouling the solenoid's O ring or what, I'm not sure, but usually simply running the slide out a few inches, then back in does the trick.  Best practice is to hold the switch, regardless of In or Out, for a second after the slide reaches its max point and you hear the hydraulic pump squeal against resistance;  but don't hold it too long and overstress the motor.

When our coach was new, the curb front slide came out partially on the freeway.  HWH told the repair shop to replace the two opposing solenoids even though only one was suspected;  this was standard practice.  Since then others here have been told only one solenoid of a set needs replacing.  Though the O rings in a solenoid can be theoretically replaced, most switch out the entire solenoid, which should be available from HWH if not from other suppliers.  HWH shipped a pair of solenoids to the shop in our case - I paid the extra for expedited shipping so we wouldn't be parked at the shop for a week.

HWH should be able to supply changeout instructions, and they may be on their website as I recall.  Also, as Fred mentioned regarding the 1/4" "wrench" on the cap, I'd consider using that to adjust the head of each solenoid a bit, if done correctly a possible simple solution to your symptoms if the cause is just a relatively loose Release Nut that needs snugging up.  But I'd consult with HWH about that.  For a reference diagram see a page from my manual is below.

As to your question 4:  Many do otherwise, but I dump the air when parking and storing the rig.  There's inevitably a micro leak somewhere in the air system that leads at least one corner to slump.  That twist puts stress on body parts, something usually in evidence when you examine bay door alignments with each other and the body.  Worse case scenario is a cracked windshield from a stressed front cap... been there, done that.  But if you park with the fridge on, be sure the rig is relatively level even with dumped air.  Drive up on boards if you have to, or use onboard hydraulic jacks if you have them.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:14:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Tom,
 In regard to question #2, I had the same experience with the drivers side slide out last month.
The bottom would creep out 1 to 1 1/2".
 It turned out to be a leaking hydraulic hose. We decided to replace both hydraulic hoses to that slide as each appeared to be
worn and weak.
Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey

2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »

3) I have a white CB antenna (standard??) that looks like it hit a tree or overpass...top 8 inches were taped together with duct tape.  Antenna cable feeds to compartment next to driver seat.  I plugged-in my cb and get good weather broadcast signal, but my range is less than a half-mile with the cb.  To replace the antenna, does anyone know what brand I am replacing?  Also, will I be able to feed the new cable up the side wall?  Does a new antenna connect by screwing-in at the antenna base with no need to pull a new antenna wire? (see pic)

You just need to change the antenna. Use the existing coax. When you replace the antenna (brand is not that important) it will need to be 'tuned' using an SWR meter. It's not a big deal and is easy to do.

4) When I am storing the coach for a week or more...should I let the air out of the air suspension bags or leave them inflated?

Leave them inflated. They will most likely bleed of air over time anyway.

Tom (in Central Florida with a great lakefront house for sale so I can retire)...see it at:
www.floridalakefronthouseforsale.com
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold