Author Topic: Entry door floor slide.  (Read 23965 times)

Christopher Clark

Re: Entry door floor slide.
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 06:26:25 PM »
Thank you Mike and Fred, you guys have been very helpful !!  So I think my rocker switch is bad? I was able to use a jumper cable from the 5amp relay in the service compartment to the solenoid switch. The air piston extends, when I remove the power it retracts. I moved the cold wire from the 3rd blade to the second blade which has power and the slide operates. My concern is that when I felt the switch on the solenoid if felt warm/hot. Does anyone know if these Norgren solenoids are intended to function as I described, power on extend, power off retract? I have the same solenoid as Fred’s attached picture.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
Can you find the part number on the solenoid/valve? If so, you may be able to find it here and see how it is intended to work (i.e. page 12) http://cdn.norgren.com/pdf/KIPSolValv.pdf
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:19:08 PM by Mike Shumack »

Christopher Clark

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
Mike, thanks for the link. I called yesterday and spoke with customer service who spoke with one of their engineers. Reportedly the switch on top of the valve will become warm/hot under normal operation.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
I moved the cold wire from the 3rd blade to the second blade which has power and the slide operates.

Glad you have it working. I'm wondering about the statement you made above. Did you move the wire around because you were not sure where it belonged?

If the wire was on the third blade (from factory) I would be concerned about moving it as that might mean you are now applying continuous power to the relay or solenoid where it was only intended to have monetary power (I don't recall now if the Step Cover switch stays in the open or closed position, or if it is spring loaded to return to the center/off position).

Christopher Clark

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:57 AM »
According to IMI, the switch receives continuous power. Do you think differently?

Mike Shumack

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
I agree that the "switch" receives continuous power. On my switch that is the center terminal (not counting the top terminal for ther switch light. As shown on the switch drawing I attached previously).

I just wanted to confirm that you are not applying continuous power to the air solenoid (which I dont think should have power when the Slide is in the fully opened or fully closed position. But I don't know this for sure).

Christopher Clark

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Mike, my apologies for causing the confusion. I should’ve been more clear. My rocker switch is different than yours. I have no light or dimmer control included with mine. It is simply a 2 position rocker with one position labeled “out”.
 However the switch I was referring to in the previous post is the switch/ receptacle on the valve itself. The valve has a small electrical component mounted on top of it where the 12V enters the valve. This is what I was referring to as having continuous power during the “out” position. IMI, told me that is the design of the switch continuous power to activate the valve for the “out” position.
 Do you believe the information about continuous power is incorrect?? That was my concern, over heating the switch/ safety, fire issues.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

having continuous power during the “out” position. IMI, told me that is the design of the switch continuous power to activate the valve for the “out” position.

Do you believe the information about continuous power is incorrect?? That was my concern, over heating the switch/ safety, fire issues.

I don't know how this solenoid is designed to work (the coil should be rated for continuous duty, which is possible). If the manufacturer/supplier says is it correct to have continuous power applied to the solenoid when the slide is Out (stepwell covered), then that is fine.

Maybe someone with a similar model coach/step-cover can confirm. My coach uses a different setup, and I could not find a wiring diagram for your coach to check.

At least it is only powered when "driving" (step cover in closed position) so it is not applying power to the coil the majority of time (i.e. no power applied when parked- camping).

Christopher Clark

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
Could anyone who has the same valve as the one Fred Brooks pictured, confirm that when the step cover is closed, it is receiving continuous 12V power. A simple test light at the top of the valve where the power enters should be sufficient. Fred if it’s possible for you to do so, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
Greetings Chris,
  Sorry it took so long, The Norgren valve requires 12volt power present to stay activated. When you turn the switch off, the spring loaded shuttle valve reverses the air flow thus retracting the air cylinder to the cover. The solenoid will be warm to the touch when activated. I did not perform an amp draw test to determine how much power it draws to stay activated. Hope this helps, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Christopher Clark

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
Fred, thanks so much for bringing this to a close for me!!
 I do have some additional information for folks who maybe following this issue. Our couch has only one switch that activates the step slide cover. It is located on the center consol area of the dash, in reach of the front seat passenger. The switch is a 2 position rocker switch with 3 blades on the back, one of the blades on our switch is dead(failed) I ended up switching blades. 2 wire leads are attached to this switch, 1 labeled- 132 stepcover batt, 1 labeled- 142 stepcover sw. If you follow the 142 wire around the dash area to the drivers side wall it changes to- 142 stepcover sol. What happens at least with our coach, is the wire passes into the side wall compartment enter/exit via a 10 or 12 pin plug. In our case the pin responsible for 142 was burn beyond being conductive. I cut both sides of 142 from the multi pin plug. I then spliced a heavy duty blade fuse holder onto wire 142. I started with a 10A blade fuse, I’ve reduced down to a 3A and the step slide cover is functioning fine.
 My problem was 2 fold, a bad rocker switch and a bad pin in a multi pin plug. I’m guessing that these two failures are related. Whether the switch began to fail or the pin within the plug preceded it, one most likely had something to do with the other.
 I will say, my repair is in no way a recommendation to anyone to do the same. This is provided as information only not a recommendation for repair.