Author Topic: New Induction Cooktops  (Read 24580 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: New Induction Cooktops
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

Given it sounds like the one I linked does relatively well, and is apparently much faster than what we're used to with electric coil or gas generally, it would come down to whether I thought the extra 200 watts was really worth whatever cost it meant - if it meant a couple minutes saved getting to a boiling point, how do I judge that in dollars. 

It's actually a total myth that these burners are "fantastically fast" when it comes to basic tasks like boiling water.  Boiling water takes energy, in fact it takes 1 calorie to raise one gram of water 1 degree C, plus to get it to change from water at 100C to water vapor at 100C one also has to add the heat of vaporization.

Rather than go through all the math, suffice it to say that my 1500W induction burner is slightly slower than the 9,000 BTU/hr burner on my propane cooktop if one takes into account the amount of heat delivered and the fact that a gas flame is only 60-70% efficient in coupling its energy to a pot. 

I did the full calculations once in response to a post on another forum where someone was complaining how long it took to boil water with his new induction burner.  From reading posts on RV forums he had gotten the impression that it can boil a few quarts of water in a matter of a minute or two--it can't.  That's why I say that, for us, the most important thing an induction burner can do is simmer or even slow cook, if it is well designed and can do those functions properly. 

I hadn't realized that some burners can't simmer well until we were parked next to a couple who had the True Induction two-burner unit in their new Tiffin MH.  They swore that it was useless for simmering because it would scorch the food no matter how low they set it.  The reason for this is that most burners pulse the unit 100% on for a brief interval in order to simulate reduced power.  If the amount of "on time" is too long the heat won't be able to absorb fast enough and the bottom of the pot will heat enough to burn what you are cooking.  This same issue can be found in less expensive microwave ovens when they operate at reduced power.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 12:41:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to review the one I was considering to get an idea of its simmering abilities, although I thought that was a parameter I covered at the time.

Joel A.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wagner

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »
Ok just went to Amazon and looked at that one. It looks like it's flat and not portable.

Also how noisey are they?  Hearing aides are very sensitive to background noise.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
If you want an idea of what NOT to buy, check some owner reviews of the Nuwave that's pushed in infomercials.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
Ok just went to Amazon and looked at that one. It looks like it's flat and not portable.

Also how noisey are they?  Hearing aides are very sensitive to background noise.

If the one you are looking at is "flat and not portable" then presumably you are looking at one intended for mounting in a hole in the counter.  Even though all of them are pretty quiet (the only thing you should hear is the cooling fan), having it hanging beneath the counter should further muffle the noise.

Carol Moffett

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »
If you want an idea of what NOT to buy, check some owner reviews of the Nuwave that's pushed in infomercials.

I'm sorry, Joel, but I had to chime in here!  Lol!
   I currently have a PIC (Nuwave) induction cook top that I use in the MH and I am very happy with it!  No complaints whatsoever.  I also have used their counter top ovens for many years and believe them to be the best counter top appliance I have ever purchased!  I have one in the MH as well as the stick built and rarely, if ever, use my big oven.  I recommend them highly!  :-D
:^3=~
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Joel Weiss

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but looking at the reviews for the ~$100 Nuwave induction cooktop on Amazon, 43% of the reviewers give it 5 stars and 31% give it one!  That's one of the worst "bimodal" distributions I have ever seen.  When I read reviews for anything, products, restaurants, etc., the one thing I look for are items that have a high percentage of negative reviews.  In this case the very high percentage of negative reviews would cause me to find another brand.  I do have to admit that I tend to reject anything sold through infomercials!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 06:48:18 AM »
If I may add my $0.02  I purchased the Nuwave 2 last winter. I dry camp in the desert and found the induction cooktop very satisfactory. Being a widower and still learning the skills of cooking this device usually meets my needs. From my experience it is much better than heating up the rig using the propane stove and not having to deal with the heavy stove cover just to make bacon & eggs or such. When done cooking I just pop it in the oven, out of sight.

I do run the generator for the few minutes that I'm cooking so as not to put undo stress on the inverter and or batteries. In addition, in the desert heat, propane is more valuable for the refrigerator, whereas I usually have a good supply of diesel fuel.

I don't know how long it will last compared to other makes and models but it was cheap enough it can be easily replaced. Individual expectations and needs come into play...
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
As I recall, the Nuwave devices themselves weren't necessarily the biggest issue.  Rather it was the customer service behind it, and a lot of buyers from the infomercials complained of not getting product after sending money, high and/or hidden extra costs, and an awful lot of people returning units never got refunds.

If you bought one through Amazon or reputable vendor, maybe customer service problems would be minimal.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:30:56 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett