Author Topic: Living room lights are dimmed  (Read 8489 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
Living room lights are dimmed
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
My halogen puck lights are dimmed about 50% when turned on and can't figure out why? I have unplugged the relay in the rear closet and reset and still only half the light output so I am at a loss as to what is causing this? All my other lights seem to work fine any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul 2006 Thunder
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Living room lights are dimmed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
Paul,
Sounds like you have a partial short that is pulling down the 12V to the lights or a high resistance connection. If you have a meter, monitor the 12v at the fuse/relay and remove the lamps one at a time. If the voltage jumps to 12-13V when one is removed, it is probably the culprit. If the voltage doesn't go up or goes up a bit with each bulb removed I'd suspect a high resistance connection. The puck lights are wired in parallel with the supply feed from the relay/fuse at one of the lights nearest the bedroom. I'd pull the fixture(s) and verify there is a good connection. Beaver used wire nuts for these lights so it is relatively easy to check.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
Hi Steve

Ok I will give it a try this weekend thanks for your help!
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:41 PM »
Steve, his '06 dimmable puck lights are probably like mine... on a Multiplex system... does that fact affect your analysis?  I'm certainly not an expert at how those systems work, except that the circuits are more electronic module oriented.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »
Steve,

Never had a partial short in a light bulb, either open or it works....suppose it is possible. Because they are all in parallel and all are dimmed I would look for a bad connection at the fuse or power feed (ground or +). If it is a multiplex circuit, if possible, I would switch to another multiplex circuit to feed this light set to rule out the multiplexor or simply remove the feed wire and put a straight 12V lead on it to test the light set out. The multiplexor voltage output could be measured and compared to a good working circuit as an alternative.

Those bulbs are a b**** to pull and put back and tend to break. I would go there last only if I had to. Steve, you may be more nimble in the puck light bulb removal and installation than I am....I hate those little demons from hell.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
            Hi Paul,

I believe your coach has the multiplexing system. If the the living room ceiling lights are partially dimmed, please give this a try. While pushing the switch button, hold the switch button depressed and there are 6 or 7 settings the brightness will sequence thru either getting brighter or dimmer. Let me know if this helps.

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »
Guys,
No experience with multiplexed units so out of my depth in this case.  Ed, I've had a halogen cause this but never did figure out the mechanism. Could have been a socket problem too I guess. As to getting them out, it's not too tough if you have them turned off.. :) :). Seriously, I've found latex gloves help with the grip.
Steve
Steve
Coachless

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
Steve,

I get the bulbs out O.K. and those gloves do help ....I had bought some Sylvania versions of these bulbs and the pins appear to be too long and I usually need to clip them a bit which sometimes causes the glass to chip from the shock.

What I have a struggle with is keeping the ceramic socket lined up at an angle that allows the pins to go in and also seat the bulb in the recess. I usually unmounts the unit from the cabinet or ceiling to work on it and still use a lot of colorful vocabulary before I am done. Those ceramic sockets and the metal enclosures for the pins just never line up and behave....to me it is just a terrible design. Could it be that it is just me who wants to shoot these things at times....maybe Fred knows a trick.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 01:01:42 AM »
Ed,
That's why I replaced my units with LEDs. If you need any extra halogen fixtures, set me know. I think I still have some of the units I removed.
Steve
Steve
Coachless

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:22:20 AM »
Hi Fred

I never new the multi plexer switch could be dimmed I will definitely give it a try this weekend hopefully that will work will keep you posted, Taking those covers off the lights is no easy job as I have replaced the under counter ones with LED option and they work great.

Thanks

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »
Paul, yes the multiplex switches dim and brighten in steps by holding the button longer, although some circuits are just on and off.  Guess I assumed you were already aware of that.  Your sconce lights over the bath sinks, living room ceiling, kitchen, bedroom, and slideout pucks should be dimmable that way.  Experiment with the individual switches.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:35:50 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »
     Hi Paul,

I'm not real sure on your coach but on '06 thru '08 Marquis the living room, galley and bedroom ceiling lights are on a dimming circuit. Not all ceiling lights in the rest of the coach are.
     A little trick I use to remove those halogen covers that are stuck is this, Put some double-sided mounting tape on the jaws of channel-lock plyers and gently squease as you turn counter clockwise.
     If your replacing halogen bulbs with the ones from Home Depot and have to shorten the prongs, use your dremmel tool to deburr and sharpen the ends to make installation easier. Even then it is difficult because you're going in blind. Latex rubber gloves help you get a grip while keeping your body oil off the bulb which make them overheat and shorten their life.

Hope this helps, Regards, Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the offer on the old halogen fixtures, appreciated. Do not need one right now but might hit you up when I get home. I have one with no glass in my bar cabinet, don't toss them in a shop cleaning...

Fred,

Knew you might have a trick, my Dremmel tool is not on the road with us. When I get home I will take my bulb stash and shorten and sharpen the pins all at once.....good tip.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:00:47 AM »
Hi Fred

Well I tried your suggestion about the dimming option on the multi plexer and low and behold it worked!!! Thanks for the tip as now I can dim the lights that don't need to be at full brightness.

I wonder how many other Beaver owners know about this?

Again thanks for your support

Paul Champagne 2006 Thunder
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks